Textile Engineering is one of the popular disciplines of engineering fields. It is a big research field of technology. Textile engineering spins around the garment color and fabric line of Industries.
Textile Engineering contains the principles, law and scientific techniques which re utilised for development and manufacturing the textile fabrics and all the type of yarns. It also involves the study of principles of science that deals with the Analysis of polymers involve in the formation of textile fibre.
- Apply for B.Tech Admission in Mahindra Ecole Centrale. Click Here
- Apply for B.Tech Admission in BML Munjal University. Click Here
There are over the thousand textile mills across the country. The textile sector plays the role in the growth of Indian Company. There are two types of textile sectors in India as one is handloom sector and second is a mechanized sector.
Course & Duration
Textile Engineering is about the design and control of the fibre, apparel and textile process, machinery and products. India is one of the top cotton agriculture countries around the world. We are rich with the cotton & silk farming.
Many universities and colleges have been launched the specialisation courses in textile manufacturing/ textile engineering. In the curriculum of these courses, the candidates get to know about the interaction of material with machine, natural and manmade materials, energy conservation, pollution, waste control and safety and health
As given below are the four types of programmes in textile engineering in India as the following
- Polytechnic diploma course with the duration of 3 years after 10+2 examination
- Diploma in Textile Technology / Textile Engineering
- Diploma in Fabrication Technology & Erection Engineering
- UG degree courses leading to the Tech with the duration of 4 years after 10+2 examination
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Textile Engineering
- PG degree course sledding to the Tech with the duration of 2 years after the completion of UG degree in engineering.
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Technology
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Chemistry
- Doctoral degree courses leading to the PhD domain with the duration of 1-2 years after the completion of PG degree.
For Admission in the polytechnic diploma programmes and the UG degree leading to the B.Tech degree course, the candidate must have passed the 12th std with the minimum of 50% with science subjects out of chemistry, mathematics and Biology.
Many of the Indian colleges or the universities have marked the criterion of entrance examination before the admission in any of the above programmes. Some of the entrance examination are as the following which is conducted by the various Universities in India.
- JEEP(Joint Entrance Examination Preliminary)
- JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) Main
- GATE(Graduate Aptitude Test Examination)
- JEE (Joint Entrance Examination)Advanced
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination
For Admission in Diploma courses leading to the Polytechnic Diploma, the candidate must have to appear in JEEP entrance examination and for the Admission to the UG programme, the candidates must have to appear in JEE Main entrance examination. Some of the universities conduct their own entrance examination.
The Admission is based on the marks in the qualifying examination or the score in the entrance examination followed by the counselling and personal interview.
For Admission to the PG programme, the candidates need to attain the GATE entrance examination after the completion of the UG degree in the same or equivalent field.
The Specialisation in the field of textile engineering are as the following
- Technical Textiles
- Knitting and Knit CAD
- Weaving and Weave CAD
- Coloration Technology
- Yarn and Non-woven Technology
- Textile Materials and Performance Evaluation
- Textile chemical technology
- Fibre science technology
- Computer application in textile
Jobs & Career
“Textile Engineers are highly demanded in public as well as private sectors”.
There are numerous big multinational companies in India and origin from India. Beside these several MNC’s from abroad are expanding the plant in India and looking for the experts and graduates in textile engineering. It is a big opportunity for the candidates who choose field as the career for themselves.
By the globalization of the business we bring various technologies in our country. With the development and Continual research our textile industries play a vital role in Indian economy and provide the employment opportunities for the graduates in textile engineering
An engineer from a textile can find a job in quality control, sales technical, R&D production control, process engineering, corporate management, planning and maintenance of textile machines.
Some of the job profiles in the field of textile engineering are as the following:
- Process Engineer
- Technical Salesperson
- Operations Trainee
- Sales Manager
- Development Engineers
- Quality Control Supervisor
- Medical Textiles Engineer
- Technical Services
Some of the reputed recruiters in the field of textile engineering are as the following:
- Mysore Silk Factory
- Grasim Industries
- Bombay Dying
- Arvind Mills Ltd
- JCT Limited
- Lakshmi Machine Works
- Lakshmi Mills
- Bhilwara Group
- Reliance Textiles
- Rajasthan Petro Synthetics
The career in textile industries is one of the lucrative fields. The salary structure of the government sector is different from the private sector. In government sector, a fresher can get the Rs 10000 to 12000 per month, while in the private sector, a fresher can get the Rs 15000 to Rs 25000 per month.
The Salary will rise according to your practical experience and skills. Within period of two years in an industry you may get the 3-5 lakh per annum.
Books & Study Materials
Some of the preferred books and references are as the following:
Eco-Friendly Textile Dyeing and Finishing Editor Melih Günay
Woven Fabrics Editor Han-Yong Jeon
Advanced Topics in Measurements Editor Md. Zahurul Haq
Applied Measurement Systems Editor Md. Zahurul Haq
Textile Dyeing Editor Peter J. Hauser
Natural Dyes Editor E. Perrin Akçakoca Kumbasar
Advances in Treating Textile Effluent Editor Peter J. Hauser
Advances in Modern Woven Fabrics Technology Editor Savvas Vassiliadis
Woven Fabric Engineering Editor Polona Dobnik Dubrovski
Electricity Infrastructures in the Global Marketplace Editor T. J. Hammons