Petroleum is one of the main sources of energy that is widely used in the 21st century. A career in this field is attractive and challenging.
Petroleum engineering is the branch of engineering courses that deals with the study of the production of hydrocarbons such as crude oil or natural gas.
Graduates in petroleum engineering are called Petroleum Engineers.
Petroleum Engineers are involved in the production and exploration of oil and gas. They also work with geo- scientists and other features.
Petroleum Engineering needs a knowledge of many other disciplines such as geophysics, petroleum, geology, formation, evaluation, drilling, economics, reservoir simulation, reservoir engineering, well engineering, artificial lift systems, etc.
This field was first introduced in 1914 at American Institute of Mining. Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers (AIME). The first petroleum engineering degree was awarded in 1915 by University of Pittsburgh.
Petroleum Engineers are of the following types:
- Reservoir Engineers enhances the production of oil and gas.
- Drilling Engineers deals with the technical aspects of drilling.
- Production Engineers handles the interface between reservoirs and wells.
Shortly, we can say that Petroleum Engineers locate, recover and maintain oil and gas resources of the country.
Courses & Eligibility
How to become Petroleum Engineers?
To become a petroleum engineer, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in petroleum engineering Candidates possessing bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering can also work in this field but Bachelor’s degree in petroleum engineering is preferred first.
Bachelor’s Courses – 4 years
- E/ B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering – 4 years duration.
- Tech in Petrochemical Engineering
- Tech in Applied Petroleum Engineering
- Tech. in Petroleum Engineering
- Tech in Petroleum Reservoir and Production Engineering.
Master Course – 2 years
- E./M.Tech in Petroleum Exploration
- Tech Petroleum Refinery Engineering
- Tech in Petroleum Refining and Petrochemical Engineering
It must be necessary for the candidates to pass higher secondary examination (12th) with science stream from a recognized educational board in order to take admission in Bachelor programme.
Minimum educational prescribed for Admission to Master course is Bachelor degree in relevant field
Subjects of Study
- Material & Energy Flow Computation
- Applied Geology
- Mechanics of Solids
- Environmental Studies
- Fluid Mechanics
- Basic Electrical Engineering
- Basics Electronics Engineering
- Introduction to Petroleum Operations
- Drilling Engineering & Well Completion
- Reservoir Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Heat Transfer Processes
- Natural Gas Engineering
- Applied Numerical Methods
- Chemical thermodynamics
- Industrial Management
- Material Science
- Well Log Analysis and Well Testing
Interested Candidates can apply for the Bachelor degree in petroleum engineering through the entrance test. Admission process of every college/institution vary. Candidates can take JEE Main Exam that is the National Level entrance examination organised for the admission to the B.Tech programme.
Candidates whose desires is to get the Master’s degree in petroleum engineering are informed that admission is done through the entrance test. Entrance exams are conducted at national state and University level. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is the most popular entrance test that provides entry to the first year Master of Technology/ Master of Engineering Courses. Most of the Institutions of India considers GATE scores for granting admission.
Some of the Universities/Institution conducts their own entrance test for providing admission. UPESEAT Entrance Exam is one of the reputed entrance examinations administered by the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES) Dehradun for granting admissions to its engineering courses.
Some of the reputed institutions that offer courses petroleum engineering
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun
- Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhinagar
- Dibrugarh University
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Anna University, Chennai
Jobs & Careers Scope
A degree in Petroleum Engineering can open many career paths. Petrol Engineers are Demanded globally. Plenty of Jobs is available for the professionals of this field. Many petroleum and gas companies offer the job to the petroleum engineers
- Problem Solving Skills
- Team Working Skills
- Numerical and analytical skills
- Conceptualization skills
- Communication skills
Jobs are also offered in the government sector. Companies that comes under government and recruits petroleum engineers are as follows:
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited ( BPCL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited (CPCL)
- Hindustan Oil Exploration Company Ltd (HOEC)
- Essar Oil
Job titles for a petroleum engineer are as follows:
- Drilling Engineer
- Production Engineer
- Chief Petroleum Engineer
- Offshore Drilling Engineer
- Reservoir Engineer
Role of Petroleum Engineers
- They Develop equipment’s used for extracting oil and gas from the earth in an efficient way.
- Develop the Techniques that can be used for enhancing oil recovery.
- They have the responsibility to ensure that oil field equipment is working properly.
- They design technologies and new ways to recover the hydrocarbons.
Petroleum Engineering is one of the highest paid engineering disciplines
Petroleum Engineers will get attractive pay. In India, the average salary of petroleum engineers is Rs 6, 99,027 per year. As you gain experience in this field the salary also keeps increasing. Remuneration in this field is offered high in Abroad.
In the US an average salary of the petroleum engineer $104000 annually.
Books & Study Materials
You can refer these books for studying petroleum engineering:
- The Petroleum Engineering Handbook: Sustainable Operations M. Ibrahim Khan, M. Rafiqul Islam
- Petroleum Production Engineering, A Computer – Assisted Approach 1st Edition by Boyun Guo
- Fundamentals of Petroleum and Chemical Engineering Uttam Ray Chaudhuri
- Applied Petroleum Reservoir Engineering by Ronald Terry, J. Rogers
- Petroleum Engineering Handbook for the Practising Engineer, Vol. 2by M.A. Mian
- Petroleum Reservoir Engineering Practice by Nnaemeka Ezekwe
- Introduction to Petroleum Production by D.R. Skinner
- Principles of Petroleum Reservoir Engineering by Chierici, Gian.L.
- Fundamentals of Petroleum Reining by M.A. Fahim, TA. Al-Sahhaf, A.S. Elkilani