Mining Engineers you will learn about the technologies and techniques used for the identification and extraction of minerals from the earth. Mining Minerals are like coal, petroleum, metallic minerals, and non-metallic minerals can be extracted naturally. Do you know how minerals like coal, petroleum, metallic minerals, and non-metallic minerals can be extracted naturally? These all the techniques will be taught in the study of mining engineering as one of the disciplines of engineering courses.
The term Mining means the process or industry of obtaining coal or other minerals from a mine and engineering refers to the branch of science deals with the design, building, and use of engineers, machines, and structures.
What does Mining Engineering Exactly means?
Mining Engineering is defined as the branch of engineering that deals with the identification extraction production and processing of valuable minerals from a naturally occurring environment.
The exact role of mining engineer starts from the discovery of mineral resource, processing of mineral commodities, designing and construction of mines, controlling mining operations and transportation of minerals.
About Mining Engineering
Mining starts with the survey of finding the mineral deposit. Here the role of geologists and surveyors will begin. Mining engineers in collaboration with the geologists discover the minerals. After the identification of minerals and feasibility study, mining engineers are involved in the mining process that includes blasting and explosives.
It is the Duty of Mining Engineers which are involved in the mining process that includes blasting and explosives. It is the duty of mining engineer to maximize efficiency and safety. The mining engineer has the responsibility to decide and select the place of explosion.
History of Mining Engineering
“Lion Cave” in Swaziland is the oldest known mine on the archaeological record. The ancient Romans were the developer of mining engineering. The Kingdom of Hungary was used the Black powder first time in the process of mining.
The Responsibilities of Mining Engineers
Mining Engineers are not only concerned about extracting minerals from the environment but also has the responsibility to keep surroundings safe from the wastes and pollution occurred during the process of mineral extraction.
Duties f Mining Engineers includes the feasibility study, construction of mines, maintenance of mines, designing engineering structures, ventilation, and cooling in the mines transportation and marketing of minerals etc.
Eligibility & Courses
Mining Engineering courses are available at various levels that include
- Diploma Courses in Mining and Mine Surveying Engineering – 3 years course
Eligibility Criteria – Qualifying examination should be the 10th/equivalent exam with minimum 50% marks.
- E./B.Techin Mining Engineering – 4 Years course
Eligibility Criteria – Minimum educational qualification of 10+2 from the recognised educational board with at least 50% marks passed with PCM as the compulsory subjects.
- ME/ M.Techin Mining Engineering – 2 Years course
Eligibility Criteria – After completion of B.E/B.Tech in the relevant discipline, you are eligible for PG courses.
The Subjects that are included in the Mining Engineering are as follows
- Rock Mechanics
- Mine Planning
- Materials Handling
- Drilling and Blasting
- Minerals Processing
- Ore Reserve Analysis
- Industrial Management
- Mine Cost Engineering
- Mine Health and Safety
- Environmental Aspects of Mining
- Design of Engineering Structures
Aspiring Candidates can apply for JEE Main for taking Admission in undergraduate engineering courses. To get Admission in IIT’s or NIT . It is must for the candidates to qualify the JEE Advanced examination. For masters course in engineering, candidates need to clear the GATE which is to be conducted once in a year.
The other following exams are as follows
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology & Science Admission Test)
- VITEEE (VIT Engineering Entrance Examination)
- AP & TS EAMCET (Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test)
- BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
You can study mining engineering from the following colleges
- Indian Institute of Technology at Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
- Government Engineering College, Gujarat
Candidates can also from the Abroad colleges which are as follows
- Curtin University of Technology
- Mining Education Australia (MEA)
- University of New South Wales
- University of Queensland
Job & Career
Mining engineers have numerous career options. Arab countries like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar provides profitable opportunities to the eligible candidates
Mining Engineering there are enormous job opportunities are available in public sector or government organisations. Career scope in the field of teaching is also bright for the candidates having the masters degree in mining engineering.
Top companies that select the candidates in the field of mining engineering
- The Indian Bureau of Mines
- Geological Survey of India
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation
- Essel Mining & Industries Ltd.
- Hindustan Zinc Limited
- Adani Mining Pvt. Ltd.
- Arcelor Mittal
- Bharat Forge Limited
- Cairn Energy
- Coal India Ltd.
- Damodar Valley Corporation
You will be appointed as
- Mining Engineer – Granite
- Mining Engineering Technicians
- Research Engineers- Data Mining
- Deputy Chief Mechanical – Metals & Mining
- Assistant Mining Engineer
- Mining Engineer / Mine Planner
- Technical Consultant- Mining Industries
The Salary as compared to other professions, mining engineers earns the more remuneration in India. They will get the lucrative pay in the field of mining engineering. In India, they will receive an average salary of 6 to 8 lacs per year. Your salary will also be depended on your skills and experience, location and the organization you are working for. In the US the median yearly salary of the mining engineers is 9070$.
Books & Study Materials
Which books are best for me for the preparation of Mining Engineering?
Here we have listed some of the books for mining engineering:
- Elements of Mining Technology Vol 1 – Deshmukh
- Introductory Mining Engineering – Hartmann
- Elements of Mining Technology Vol 2 – D.J Deshmukh
- Mining Coal (Junior Reference Books) – John Davey
- Mining Engineering Analysis – Christopher J Bise
- The Mining Valuation Textbook – Victor Rudenno
- Mining in World History – Martin Lynch
- Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production – Frank Jahn, Mark Cook, Mark Graham
- SME Mining Reference Book – Raymond L.Lowrie