Marine Engineering is one of the engineering courses that deals with design, construction, operation and maintenance of the ship functions that include steering, anchoring, cargo handling, heating, ventilation, air conditioning etc.
The technology and techniques one can learn during marine engineering are used for creating cruise ships, oil platforms and harbours.
Most of the candidates have confusion between marine Engineering and naval Architecture. These both terms are interrelated to each other. Naval Architect deals with design process, ship building and operation of marine vessels.
Marine Engineering is defined as the branch of Engineering that deals with the nautical architecture and science. It involves construction, installation, operation and repair of the ships machinery.
Courses & Duration
Candidates need to fulfill the following eligibility criteria for becoming a Marine Engineer
- Completion of secondary examination/10th class (eligibility for diploma courses).
- Completion of Higher Secondary examination/12th class (eligibility for UG courses)
- Completion of B.Tech/B.E. in marine engineering (eligibility for PG courses)
There are also various Institutions which offer diploma, bachelor or master degree course in Marine Engineering. The course deals with the maintenance & construction of ships and other sailing vessels.
Diploma Courses : It is three year duration programme
- Diploma in Marine Engineering
Bachelor Courses : The Duration of these courses is 4 years.
- Tech/B.E. in Marine Engineering
- Sc. in Marine Engineering
Master Courses : It is two year duration programme
- Tech in Marine Engineering
- Marine time Commerce
- Marine Refrigeration
- Command And Control System
- Weaponry And Wepon Systems
- Navigation Systems And Equipement
- Marine Renewable Energy Research
- Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Research
- Information Communication Systems and Equipments
- Offshore Extractive and Infrastructure
For Diploma Course – You have to pass 10th examination to get admission into diploma programme.
For UG Courses – Minimum educational qualification of 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as a compulsory subjects is required for this course. If you completed a three year diploma in marine engineering you can apply for UG course in marine engineering. Your age should be 17-25 years.
Entrance Exam: JEE Main 2017
For PG course – The prescribed qualifying examination for M.Tech will be B.Tech passed in Marine Engineering.
The top colleges in India offer Marine Engineering Programme
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Karnataka
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education & Training (MANET), Pune
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Kolkata
- Raman College of Engineering, Bhubaneswar
Jobs & Career Scope
You have a plenty of career opportunities in the field of marine engineering. You will get the job depending on your specialization.
The job of Marine engineers is not just limited to construction and maintenance of ship or boats vessel but is extended up to the project management and control responsibilities too.
There are lucrative career options for the marine engineers in public as well as in private shipping companies. You will designated as a third assistant engineer or fourth engineer.
There are lots of job opportunities for the marine engineering students not only in India but also in other abroad countries.
Marine Chief engineer is considered equal to captain and possess the top rank. After gaining sufficient experience and knowledge in the field of marine engineering you will be eligible for this post.
Besides this, marine engineers are also designated as
- Trainee Marine Engineer
- Junior Marine Engineer
- sales engineers
- engineering managers
- structural engineer
- submarine designer
- third assistant engineer
- fourth assistant engineers
- Onshore Marine coordinator
- Dock Engineer
- Marine Equipment Designers
Role of Marine Engineers
Marine Engineers are the skilled professionals engaged in the design, construction and maintenance of vehicles and structure used on or around water for example – ships and boats.
They have the responsibilities for the construction and maintenance of ships machinery that include steam turbines, gas turbines and engine room.
Marine Engineers work as a liaisons between ship captain and shore personnel in order to ensure the efficiency and safety of ship. Also monitors and supervises the other engineers, mechanics and crew members of the ship.
Marine Engineers also work on the power generation, gas and oil industry. Nowadays may national and international companies showing their interest in producing the electricity with the use of tidal power generators and more.
Marine Engineers are required in public and private shipping companies, engine production firms, ship building and designing firms, navy, research bodies.
The companies that recruit marine engineers are as follows
- SMEC Automation Pvt Ltd.
- American Cruise Lines
- Marintek Design and Engineering Pvt Ltd.
- GMMCO Limited
- GE Shipping Co. Limited
- Carnival Cruise Line
- TMC Shipping Pvt Ltd.
- ITT Shipping (P) Ltd.
Candidates possessing the degree in marine engineering will get the attractive pay which will be upon their experience, location and domain knowledge. An average salary ranges from 85000$ per annum.
Books & Study Material
Some of the books which are best for the preparation of Marine Engineering
- Introduction to Marine Engineering – D.A. Taylor
- General Engineering Knowledge (Marine Engineering) – H.D McGeorge
- Marine Auxiliary Machinery – H.D McGeorge
- Pounder’s Marine Diesel Engines and Gas Turbines – Doug Woodyard
- Marine Boilers – G.T.H Flanagan
- Practical Marine Electrical Knowledge – Dennis T.Hall
- Ship Construction – David J.Eyres