Marine Engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with the development, production, design and maintenance of the equipment’s used in sea and on board sea vessels like boats, ships etc. A marine engineer is supposed to handle the operation, maintenance, and repair of all the major mechanical and engineered equipment on board a ship. Marine Engineering include functions like steering, anchoring, cargo handling, heating, ventilation, air conditioning etc.The technology and techniques one can learn during marine engineering are used for creating cruise ships, oil platforms and harbours. A variety of marine program are conducted by marine engineers like underwater vehicle research, cable laying work, renewable energy production in marine areas. Every year a large number of students become part of Marine Engineering course. Most of the students have confusion between marine Engineering and naval Architecture. These both terms are interrelated to each other. Naval Architect deals with design process, ship building and operation of marine vessels while Marine Engineering is defined as the branch of Engineering that deals with the nautical architecture and science. It involves construction, installation, operation and repair of the ships machinery.
All students are advised to read the full article carefully in order to know each and every fact about Marine Engineering course.
List of Marine Engineering Course
Fluid Dynamic for Marine Engineering
This course explore conservation laws pertaining to marine engineering are explored along with equations of Euler and Bernoulli. In this course students also learn about linear and non-linear waves, vortex distributions, amplitude oscillations and flow theories in relation to sources and shape.
Marine Engineering Lab
In Marine Engineering lab, Students are provided with the practical knowledge like measure temperature force, currents, wave heights and sound velocities. Students learn about the method for collecting, preparing and presenting data through return projects or reports which generally involve planning, analysis and evaluation of each marine engineering experiment. The course is a senior level course and is offer in the spring to coincide with the marine reproductive cycle.
Students appearing in this course learn about the movement variables in relations to ships and waves. Marine engineering course learning students study about navigation skills and gain an understanding of technical information source for example depth finder and CB radios. Classes of this course also covers ocean and coastal structures,the fundamental of naval architecture and current underwater systems.
This course consider on the effects of waves on onshore structures and designing of seawalls and breakwaters effectively. Students in this course learn about design jetties, pipelines, harbours, ship channels and oil spill containment areas. Coastal Engineering course also examine about planning of marine and coastal engineering projects, controlling of oil spills, dredging and designing of offshore pipelines.
Dynamic of Offshore Structures
This class includes wave behaviour fundamentals and learn to predict loads due to wind, currents and waves. This course vibration monitoring of submerged structures and vehicles. Linear structural dynamics are also examined. Towing and mooring applications are presented by Marine engineering students. These students learn to design ocean structures.
Principles of Naval Architecture
Students in Naval Architecture learn principles of ship geometry, load lines, classification regulatins, hydrostatics and marine vessel stability. This also examined propulsion systems of marine vehicle, semi-submersible design and drilling rigs. This course is generally taken by the students in junior or senior year.
- For Diploma Course – You have to pass 10thexamination to get admission into diploma programme.
- For UG Courses – Minimum educational qualification of 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as a compulsory subjects is required for this course. If you completed a three year diploma in marine engineering you can apply for UG course in marine engineering. Your age should be 17-25 years.
- For PG course – The prescribed qualifying examination for M.Tech will be B.Tech passed in Marine Engineering.
- Entrance Exam: JEE Main 2019
Jobs & Career Scope
There is plenty of career opportunities in the field of marine engineering. You will get the job depending on your specialization.The job of Marine engineers is not just limited to construction and maintenance of ship or boats vessel but is extended up to the project management and control responsibilities too.There are lucrative career options for the marine engineers in public as well as in private shipping companies. You will designated as a third assistant engineer or fourth engineer.There are lots of job opportunities for the marine engineering students not only in India but also in other abroad countries.
Marine Chief Engineer is considered equal to captain and possess the top rank. After gaining sufficient experience and knowledge in the field of marine engineering you will be eligible for this post.
Besides this, marine engineers are also designated as
- Trainee Marine Engineer
- Junior Marine Engineer
- sales engineers
- engineering managers
- structural engineer
- submarine designer
- third assistant engineer
- fourth assistant engineers
- Onshore Marine coordinator
- Dock Engineer
- Marine Equipment Designers
Role of Marine Engineers
- Marine Engineers are the skilled professionals engaged in the design, construction and maintenance of vehicles and structure used on or around water for example – ships and boats.
- They have the responsibilities for the construction and maintenance of ships machinery that include steam turbines, gas turbines and engine room.
- Marine Engineers work as a liaisons between ship captain and shore personnel in order to ensure the efficiency and safety of ship. Also monitors and supervises the other engineers, mechanics and crew members of the ship.
- Marine Engineers also work on the power generation, gas and oil industry. Nowadays may national and international companies showing their interest in producing the electricity with the use of tidal power generators and more.
Marine Engineers are required in public and private shipping companies, engine production firms, ship building and designing firms, navy, research bodies.
The companies that recruit marine engineers are as follows
- SMEC Automation Pvt Ltd.
- American Cruise Lines
- Marintek Design and Engineering Pvt Ltd.
- GMMCO Limited
- GE Shipping Co. Limited
- Carnival Cruise Line
- TMC Shipping Pvt Ltd.
- ITT Shipping (P) Ltd.
Candidates possessing the degree in marine engineering will get the attractive pay which will be upon their experience, location and domain knowledge. An average salary ranges from 85000$ per annum.
Courses & Duration
Candidates need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria for becoming a Marine Engineer
- Completion of secondary examination/10th class (eligibility for diploma courses).
- Completion of Higher Secondary examination/12th class (eligibility for UG courses)
- Completion of B.Tech/B.E. in marine engineering (eligibility for PG courses)
There are also various Institutions which offer diploma, bachelor or master degree course in Marine Engineering. The course deals with the maintenance & construction of ships and other sailing vessels.
Diploma Courses: It is three year duration programme
- Diploma in Marine Engineering
Bachelor Courses: The Duration of these courses is 4 years.
- Tech/B.E. in Marine Engineering
- in Marine Engineering
Master Courses: It is two year duration programme
- Tech in Marine Engineering
- Marine time Commerce
- Marine Refrigeration
- Command And Control System
- Weaponry And Wepon Systems
- Navigation Systems And Equipement
- Marine Renewable Energy Research
- Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Research
- Information Communication Systems and Equipments
- Offshore Extractive and Infrastructure
Top colleges for Marine Engineering
The top colleges in India offer Marine Engineering Programme
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Karnataka
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education & Training (MANET), Pune
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Kolkata
- Raman College of Engineering, Bhubaneswar
Books & Study Material
Some of the books which are best for the preparation of Marine Engineering
- Introduction to Marine Engineering – A. Taylor
- General Engineering Knowledge (Marine Engineering) – D McGeorge
- Marine Auxiliary Machinery – D McGeorge
- Pounder’s Marine Diesel Engines and Gas Turbines – Doug Woodyard
- Marine Boilers – T.H Flanagan
- Practical Marine Electrical Knowledge – Dennis T.Hall
- Ship Construction – David J.Eyres
Above given article was motivated to aware all about Marine Engineering course. To know more and stay updates, stay connected in touch.