Industrial Engineering is one of the engineering courses that provides a systematic approach to streamline and increase productivity & efficiency in the business world.
It is a study that incorporates methods and techniques from the engineering & management science.
Industrial Engineering is used in designing an assembly workstation consulting as an efficiency expert, process mapping, flow processing & shortening lines at a bank, hospital or a theme park.
Is industrial engineering a durative of the Mechanical Engineering? The father of the Industrial Engineering who pioneered this science in modern history was a mechanical Engineering.
Courses & Duration
Now, you want to know that – How to become an Industrial Engineer?
Also, Check – Courses after 12th Science
At least a bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering is required.
Those have a degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, process engineering, manufacturing engineering, industrial engineering technology, or general engineering also became an Industrial Engineer.
Many Universities offer bachelor degree, master’s degree and doctoral level degree in Industrial Engineering. The most sought courses of Industrial engineering & their eligibility are given below:
Diploma Courses: It is a three-year duration course. The basic eligibility for pursuing a diploma course is to qualify 10th.
- Diploma in Industrial Engineering
Bachelor Courses: It is a full-time 4-year duration programme. For admission in UG course, you have to pass 10+2 examination and score in JEE Main Exam.
- Tech/BE in Industrial Engineering
Master Courses: The duration for this course is 2 years. The eligibility criteria for admission in a master’s degree is holding a bachelor’s degree in (B.E/B.Tech) or any other equivalent streams of engineering and score card of GATE Exam.
- Tech/ME in Industrial Engineering
- PG Diploma in Industrial Engineering
PhD Courses: It is a full-time doctoral degree course of 2 years.
- Product Design & Development
- Work Systems
- Operation Research
- Production Planning & Inventory Control
- Quality Control
Many employers, particularly those that offer engineering consulting services, also require certification as a professional engineer (PE). No national licensing body certifies industrial engineers.
Industrial Engineering Associations:
- Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME)
- The Association for Manufacturing Technology (AMT)
- National Association of Industrial Technology (NAIT)
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
Undergraduate course: For Admissions into UG programme, you have to apply for JEE Main Exam.
Postgraduate Courses: To get admission into PG courses you have to appear for the GATE Exam.
Leadership skills Initiative, diligence, discipline and people skills all make an industrial engineer successful.
Colleges that offer Industrial Engineering in India are listed below:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
- Dr B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar
Career & Jobs
Industrial engineers determine the reducing productions costs, improve the quality of products and services, increase efficiency ensure the worker health and safety and protect the Environment.
Industrial Engineer is involved in all the stages of manufacture and processing.
Industrial Engineer has a basic knowledge of working in many areas of engineering, they ‘re familiar to work with the equipment, process materials & tools to design equipment & systems that meet the need for quality cost safety and the environment.
the Jobs of industrial engineers has been increasing about 10% from 2012 to 2015. Industrial engineering is an exceptionally broad field that means you will not be trapped doing the same thing day in and day out for the next 30 to 40 years. The salary is exceptional. The demands of industrial engineers will be high, thus it is a great career field for the future.
Top Job Profiles
Some job profiles that will give an idea of how varied this profession can be:
- Management Engineer
- Lean Coordinator
- Theme Park Industrial Engineer
- Supply Chain Solutions Engineer
- Quality Assurance Engineer
- Project Managers
- Operations Analyst
- Safety Engineer
- Industrial Production Manager
- Industrial Engineering Technician
- Industrial Systems Engineer
Some of the top recruiters which hire Industrial Engineers:
- Reliance Industries Ltd
- Maruti Udyog
Are you curious about the salary of an industrial engineer?
According to the survey in various countries, the salary of an industrial engineer is very high. Industrial engineer earns an average salary of Rs 4 to 5 lakh per year as a fresher. The salary may be depending on the education level, experience, industry & location.
Books & Study Material
We are providing best study material for preparation:
- Supply Chain Management by Pengzhong Li
- Principles of Scientific Management by F.W. Taylor
- Operation Analysis by Maynard
- Design of Experiments – Applications by Messias Borges Silva
- Advances in Industrial Design Engineering by Denis A. Coelho
- Introduction to Machine Design (2nd Edition)by V B Bhandari