Hotel Management Course is among many courses which students perceive after their 12th. This field is suitable to one who is profound in allotting, managing and handling day to day activity of Hotels. One who is interested to know about how these big hotels works? How they handle such huge crowd? Who manages them? Hotelier is a person who is complete in charge of actual functioning of the hotel, in big hotels we have team of hoteliers who works together for smooth functioning of Hotels. A candidate who wants to follow hotel management as the career can go for any bachelor’s degree, master degree and one who want knowledge and also earn can go for certificate and diploma course. Minimum qualification for any course is 12th passed one can gain expertise by actually working with professional as it will fetch them more pay and higher post.
|Hotel Management Course Summary|
|Name of Course||Hotel Management|
|Courses available in India||Bachelors, Masters and PG along with Certificate and Diploma courses|
|Tenure||1 to 3 years|
|Minimum qualification||12th passed|
Hotel Management Courses available in India
For hotel management course there are many institutions that provides different course like some provides Bachelors course while other institution provides diploma and certificate courses. It is students choice for which course should he opt. Some general information about course is mentioned below like time period, eligibility, institution offering the courses. There are five type of courses available at different level.
- Bachelors in Hotel management
- Masters in Hotel management
- Diploma in Hotel management
- Post-Graduate in Hotel management
- Certificate courses
Role of Hotel Manager
Hotel Manager is also known as “Hotelier”. What does a Hotelier does? A Hotelier does may work on regular basis like Planning caterings, house-keeping etc. promotions of organization, attending meeting on regular basis, guiding sub-ordinates and keeping a check on all the activities that are happening in hotel. Hotelier does the work of maintaining financial record like expenses of Hotels, Income and other source for money, planning the schedule for the worker and teams.
An Hotelier does all the below mentioned work:
- Carrying out inspections of property and services
- Setting and achieving sales and profit targets
- Recruiting, training and monitoring staff;
- Dealing with customer complaints and comments;
- Ensuring events and conferences run smoothly
- Planning work schedules for individuals and teams
- Planning and organising accommodation, catering and other hotel services
- Analysing sales figures and devising marketing
- Managing budgets and financial plans as well as controlling expenditure
- Addressing problems and troubleshooting
- Supervising maintenance, supplies, renovations and furnishings
- Ensuring security is effective
- Maintaining statistical and financial records
Qualities of Hotel Managers
Hotel managers is a very high level post in hotel as he is the only person who is responsible for handling all the task of hotel and his activity is directly responsible for Profits of Hotels for instance if a hotel manger takes right decision and number of customers of hotel increases profit will surely increase and this will improve hotel’s goodwill. Hence a manager needs some traits which are beneficial for gaining profit and developing professionalism. Following traits make a good Hotelier.
- Innovative-doing different
- Systematic thinking
- Good Communication Skill
- Updated (Knowing all current issues in market)
- Quick and Critical Thinking
- Human Resources management
- Business minded
Hotel Management Job Types
As globalization has spread market has enlarged, there are many job opportunities for freshers as well as professional. There are many franchises that are well known and have goodwill who need capable mangers like McDonald, KFC, Pizza Hut and many more. These companies need manager in their branches for smooth working. Even we have big hotels in metro-cities who need manager for every different in Hotel like Taj, Oberoi have a full team of Hotel managers where they have sub-group for managing different activities, these hotels are well known for their service is because of Group of large Hotel managers.
- Hotel manager.
- Assistant manager.
- Department manager.
- Front Office manager.
- Reservation clerk.
- Executive housekeeper.
- Restaurant and food service manager.
- Bell captain
- Air hostess.
- Flight stewards
- Ground staff.
- Public relationship officer.
Top Hotel Management Institution in India
- Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Mumbai
- IHM Aurangabad (Taj Group)
- IHM Chennai
- Welcome Group Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- IHM Ahmedabad
- IHM Hyderabad
- Institute of Hotel Management, Gwalior
- Ambedkar Inst.of Hotel Management, Chandigarh
- Rizvi Institute of Hotel Management, Mumbai
- Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Delhi