Electronics and Communication is one of the emerging fields of the engineering courses. It involves the transmission of information across the channel.
Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) compiles in Communication Engineering and core Electronics Engineering. The course is to focus mainly on the communication part with the knowledge of the electronics field
Electronics and Communication Engineering deals with the electronic devices and software applications. It is an interface of chip level hardware and information technology.
Courses & Duration
Electronics and communication engineering is an emerging field of engineering.
In a first half of the course, the candidates go through the basic engineering concept, physics, mathematics and chemistry. In the second half of the course, the candidates go through the core study of communication such as Design, digital electronics and fundamental of Electronics engineering, signal & circuit, electronic, VLSI power electronics, computer architecture and other control systems.
After the completion of UG degrees, the candidates are designated as the Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology, depending on the University.
A Bachelor degree usually covers the mathematics, physics and computer science.
You can choose the Electronics and Communication Engineering, after completed 12th examination with mathematics and science.
The Academic criterion of Electronics and Communication Engineering is divided into three courses/programmes as follows.
- Diploma course leading to the polytechnic diploma of 3 years duration.
- UG Course leading to the B. Tech degree of 4 years duration.
- PG Course leading to the M.Tech degree of 2 years duration.
For entering it is one of the board research fields leading to the PhD degree.
The other courses in this field are listed.
- Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Electronics & Communication Engineering.
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Electronic Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Electronics and Communication Engineering
Specialisation (Sub – Disciplines)
Electronics and Communication Engineering has expanded in various specialisations as the following
- Signal Processing
- Telecommunications Engineering
- Control Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- VLSI design Engineering
You can get Admissions into these courses, through entrance examinations which are organised at national state and University level. Admissions are also done on the basis of merit list. The merit list will be drawn on the basis of marks scored in the qualifying examinations.
For admissions into the UG courses, you may appear for the JEE Main Examination. It is a national Level Exam Conducted for the Admissions into various UG Engineering courses offered across the country for the Admissions into the PG Course you can appear in the GATE Exam.
For admissions into the UG Course, you may appear for the JEE Main examination. It is a national level exam conducted for the admissions into various UG Engineering courses offered across the country. For the Admission into the PG Course, you can appear in the GATE Exam.
Some engineering entrance exams are given here:
- JEE (Joint Entrance Exam) Main
- JEE (Joint Entrance Exam) Advanced
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
- BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
- JCECE (Jharkhand Common Entrance Competitive Exam)
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
Which are the best colleges for admissions into these courses?
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati
- National Institute of Technology (NITK), Surathkal
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Warangal
- Indian School of Mines (ISM), Dhanbad
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
Jobs and Career
This field has an opportunity of two types companies, Telecom Industries and Software Industries
An electronic and communication engineer can work in aviation and avionics, consumer electronics, electricity plant, manufacturing, transportation, communication & telecommunication, computer application, radio & television, diagnostic equipment manufacturing and offshore companies.
There is an opportunity to get a central government job, State government job and in public & private sectors:
What will be your job profile?
Some of the Job titles are listed here
- Electronics Engineer
- Field Test Engineer
- Network Planning Engineer
- Electronics and Communications Consultant
- Customer Support Engineer
- Electronics Technician
- Associate Firstline Technician
- Research and Development Software Engineer
- Service Engineer
- Senior Sales Manager
- Technical Director
Here are some reputed firms which require the electronics and communications engineers whenever
- Texas Instruments
- Philips Electronics
- Conexant and Flextronics
- HCL Technologies
- Tech Mahindra
An electronics engineer has a scope of career in India and Abroad. Salary packages offered to electronics engineers vary upon various factors such as working skills, qualifications, working area recruiters and many other terms.
If you are an electronic engineer you can get the initial package of 3.5 – 4.5 lakh per annum in India $60000 to 70000 per annum in abroad. After gaining enough experience you can easily earn attractive packages in this field.
Book & Study Material
The top recommended books in the field of Electronics and communication Engineering are as the following:
Essays, Short Stories and One Act Plays
R.K Kaushik and S.C. Bhatia
Textbook of Engineering Mathematics
B S Grewal
Textbook of Engineering Mathematics
V.P Jaggi and A.B Mathur
Physics of Vibration and Waves 5th Edition
H. J. Pain
Textbook of Optics
Brijlal and Subramanian
Applied Mechanics and Strength of Materials
Engineering Mechanics (Statics and Dynamics)
A K Tayal
Advanced Engineering Mathematics
B S Grewal
Microelectronic Circuits (5th edition)
Adel S. Sedra, Kenneth C. Smith
Jacob Millman, Arvin Grabel
Signals and Systems (2nd edition)
Alan V. Oppenheim, Alan S. Willsky
D. P. Kothari, I. J. Nagrath