The official notification for the Common Admission Test (CAT) 2015 has been released on the 26th of July and the examination is scheduled to be conducted on the 29th of Nov 2015 via the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIM-A).
Some of the salient features of the examination as stated by the IIM Ahmedabad is enlisted below:
- The CAT exam 2015 will be held in 650 examination centres in 136 cities panning across the country.
- The exam will be held on one day in two separate sessions.
- The candidates will be presented with the option to select upto 4 choices as their examination centre.
- The institute will make sure to assign the first city of choice to all the candidates, however if it isn’t possible then the candidates will be assigned a city as per their stated order of preference.
- The candidates will have no choice whatsoever over the choice of exam sessions as they will be assigned to them in a random order.
- The payment of the fees has to be done via online mode itself i.e. via credit card/ debit card/net banking as no other mode of payment will be considered acceptable.
- The candidates can register for the exam and complete the application process between the 6th of August and 20th of September after which no applications will be accepted.
- The admit cards for CAT 2015 will be released on the 15th of October.
- The authorities will be releasing an online tutorial explaining the format of the examination with the admit cards on the 15th of October.
- The exam duration has been increased to 180 mins from the 170 mins duration the previous year.
- The paper will comprise of three sections i.e. , Quantitative Aptitude (QA), Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR) and Verbal & Reading Comprehension (VRC)
- The Quantitative Aptitude and Verbal and Reasoning Comprehension sections will be carrying a total of 34 questions each and the Logical Reasoning Section will be carrying a total of 32 questions
- Not all the questions will be uniformly in the objective format as a few questions will be subjective as well.
- The candidates will be permitted to make use of the basic on-screen calculator for computation.
- The candidates will be allotted 60 minutes for attempting each section and they won’t be permitted to switch from one section to another during the 60 minute slot.
- The results of the CAT competitive exam are scheduled to be declared around the 2nd week of January 2016.
- This exam is a pre-requisite for admission to the various management programmes.
As with most entrance examinations there is always abit of confusion pertaining to the exam format thus we have enlisted the 5 most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to CAT 2015 exam format:
FAQs Regarding CAT 2015
Q1. Will the CAT be held online?
The CAT is not an online examination, it’s a digital or Computer Based Test (CBT) instead of an Internet-Based Test (IBT) thus translating to the candidate not taking the exam via an internet site. Instead of reading the questions in a peper booklet and bubbling the ovals on the answer sheet the candidate will be reading the questions via a computer terminal and choose an answer by clicking on the correct option.
Q2. What’s the difference between the computer-based format from the paper-based format?
The format is mostly similar except for the fact that the candidate has to read the question on a computer terminal and clicks on the correct answer instead of reading on a paper booklet and using a pencil to darken the ovals on an answer sheet. Additionally there will be a timer displayed on the screen that lets you know how many minutes more for the completion of the exam.
Q3. Can the exam be taken via any computer?
No the examination will have to be taken via a workstation assigned at the pre assigned venue in the preferred city that was chosen via the student at the time of the registration the details of which will be given on the admit card.
Q4. What does a CBT exam look like?
A CAT practice exam will be available on the website iimcat.ac.in in order for the familiarization of the candidates with the functionality and navigation of the actual exam and the link for the same will be made available mid-October 2015.
Q5. Where can the selection of the preference of shift and test date be made?
Exam shift (forenoon or afternoon) will be allocated for each candidate on the basis of the city preference made at the time of application and the candidates are not permitted to select their shift.
Stay connected to keep updated.