How non-engineers can Conquer CAT 2018 Exam– Every year CAT is dominated by engineering students. Most engineers prefer CAT after graduation. CAT 2018 is the most difficult exam for master’s program in the country. Every year, it is observed that 6 out of 10 students who get shortlisted were engineers. MBA provides an opportunity to work in different sectors like banking finance, marketing, etc. It helps boost knowledge and enhance an individual’s skills.
CAT is common admission test.
It is the leading management national entrance exam for admission in any of the IIMs or top business schools in India. Authorities that conduct CAT realized there is an imbalance in the exam so they decided to change the exam pattern. CAT examination 2018 is divided into three sections –verbal ability and reading comprehension – Quantitative ability –data interpretation and logical reasoning.
Most of the topics which are questioned the examination are already studied and covered by engineering students in their graduation time. So it is an advantage for the engineering students. After knowing this, a student with no engineering background will obviously be de-motivated.
Given below are topics which will cover the CAT syllabus. So you can go through these topics to have a brief idea of CAT Examination syllabus.
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension -This includes fill in the blanks, idioms, reading comprehension, antonyms, synonyms and verbal reasoning.
- Quantitative Ability– This includes all the mathematical problems like algebraic expressions, permutation and combination, quadric and linear equations. Geometry, trigonometry, profit and loss questions averages and mensuration. This will test your basic mathematical problems which we have already studied in school time.
- Data interpretation and logical reasoning:
- This section includes interpretation of data and tables through graphs, Venn diagrams, bar graphs etc. questions related to seat arrangements, blood relations, and logical sequence.
Tips for no engineering students to crack CAT 2018
There is self -made the assumption that CAT is dominated by engineers. This is because most of the CAT syllabus topics have already been studied by engineering students during their graduation phase especially quantitative section of the examination.
- Reading Comprehension and Verbal Ability – We all are reading English since our childhood. This is an easy topic to score in CAT 2018. This can be scoring topic for students. All you need is a good command over English grammar.
– This section tests the basic rules and fundamentals of English grammar.
– This can be the critical topic in CAT 2018 exam.
– Verbal reasoning questions are designed to test your potential to identify the problems within a group of words, sentences etc.
– To get perfection in this particular section all you need is reading, Read articles, newspapers, etc. This will not only help you to crack this particular section but also to communicate better in the personal interview (PI) and group discussions (GD).
- Quantitative Ability-This section favors engineers or the aspirants from math background the most. These questions are solved in steps. There are several formulas and manner in which these questions can be solved.
For the non-engineering students, there is only one way to crack this section i.e. practice. Practice makes easy to solve these questions. For this particular section, you need to explore because there are various ways to solve a particular question whichever is easiest you should adopt that.
- Data interpretation and logical reasoning –This section is again tricky and needs focused approach. In DI and LR, you need practice. These questions are more skill based not knowledge based. Whether you are either engineering or a non-engineering student, this section provides you an equal opportunity to score good marks.
– Students must be clear the about difference of calculation and interpretation. This will help you to save time from unnecessary calculations.
– All you need is focused approach as there is old saying “solution is embedded in the problem itself.”
– In DI section if you can calculate in your mind it will help you to save precious time and you can utilize that time to attempt other questions.
All the best for the exam ….. for non-math background students give a tight competition to engineers…….