CAT 2019- Common Admission Test which is abbreviated as CAT is a gateway to India’s most premier PG level management programs conducted by Indian Institutes of Management. The apex body of this leading management entrance test will be one of the IIMs. Apart from the IIMs, the CAT score of a candidate is considered for admission in other top-notch management colleges across the countries. IIMs have adopted a rotational strategy to conduct CAT exam and this national level MBA entrance exam is conducted once in a year. The notification of CAT 2019 is expected to be released in July-August 2019. CAT will be conducted with a prime purpose of assessing the aptitude level, decision-making ability, and logical thinking of the aspirants. After all, qualifying CAT 2019 is the only way to become the management leaders of tomorrow. CAT 2019 will be seen as the highly significant entrance exam for MBA admissions. This article is written with an intent to make CAT aspirants well-versed with the eligibility criteria, application form filling procedure, and the tentative schedule of CAT 2019 so that they can give wings to their CAT 2019 preparations well in advance.
CAT 2019: A Quick Glimpse of Highlights
|Test’s Name||Common Admission Test (CAT)|
|Why it is conducted||For screening of the candidates seeking admission to post-graduate management programs|
|Conducted by||One of the IIMs|
|Frequency||Once in a year|
|Score Card Validity||One Academic Year|
|Annual Number of Test Takers||Around 2 Lakhs per year|
|Nature of Questions||MCQs and Subjective Questions|
|Number of Questions||100|
|Duration of Test||3 hours|
|Negative Marking Provision||-1 for each wrong answer in MCQs No negative marking for Subjective or TITA|
|Syllabus||Questions from DI & LR, QA, and VARC|
|Mode||Computer-based (Online test)|
|Application Fees||Rs. 1800 for General/NC-OBC category Rs. 900 for SC/ST/PWD/DA category|
|Reservation of seats in IIMs and B-schools||In compliance with the Government of India regulations|
|Official Website for CAT||iimcat.ac.in|
|Score or Grade Used by||IIMs and many other B-schools in India|
CAT 2019 Important Dates
Let’s take a quick tour of all the important dates related to CAT 2019 so that the aspirants can’t miss any of the deadlines of the events.
|CAT Notification Release||July- August 2019|
|Registration Start||Mid August 2019|
|Registration Closing||4th Week of September 2019|
|Admit Card Issuance||4th Week of October 2019|
|Examination Date||1st Week of December 2019|
|CAT 2019 Result||Mid January 2020|
CAT 2019 Eligibility Criteria
The aspirants with a bachelor’s degree in any stream from an affiliated university/ college/ institution, with a minimum 50% marks or equivalent will be eligible to apply for CAT 2019.
Note- The candidates who will be appearing in their final year in 2019 or waiting for their final year result will also be eligible to take this exam.
Age is just a number for CAT 2019 i.e. there is no minimum or maximum age limit applicable to this exam.
CAT 2019 Seat Reservation
The apex body has structured a provision for reserved seats in CAT 2019. Have a look at the below table to get a glimpse of CAT 2019 seat reservation:
|Seats Reserved for SC Candidates||Seats Reserved for ST Candidates||Seats Reserved for OBC||Seats Reserved for Differently-abled|
CAT 2019 Registration
In mid of August 2019, the CAT registrations will open most probably. The mode of registration will be same as previous years i.e. online. Hence, the candidates need to visit the official website to file their registration for CAT 2019.
How to apply for CAT 2019?
First of all, the aspirants need to open the official website for CAT application. The further steps to be followed by CAT 2019 applicants are mentioned below:
- Click on the CAT registration button.
- Fill your personal details in the form and register.
- The login details will be generated and sent on the mentioned Email ID.
- Once the candidates log in, they need to fill their name, address, qualification, and other details.
- The next step would be to submit CAT application fee, which will be accepted online only.
- All the aspirants are advised to get the printout of the application form for further reference.
CAT 2019 Application Fee
The application fee for CAT 2019 can be deposited through different means of online payment methods i.e. debit card, credit card, net banking, etc. Below table represents the expected fee for CAT 2019.
|Category||Fee (In Rs.)|
|General/ NC-OBC Candidates||1800/-|
|SC/ ST/ PWD||900/-|
Note- The application fee may change until the authority releases the official notification.
CAT 2019 Exam Pattern
The conducting authority has set a predefined pattern for CAT exam. In CAT 2019 Exam, it is expected to remain the same as previous years. Let’s have a look at the important aspects of exam pattern of CAT.
|Section||Questions (In no.)||Total Marks||Time|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)||34||102||60 minutes|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||34||102||60 minutes|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||32||96||60 minutes|
Highlights of CAT 2019 Exam Pattern
- CAT Exam 2019 will be conducted online (computer-based)
- Total duration of the exam is 180 minutes
- MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) & Subjective Type Questions will be asked.
- 3 marks will be credited for every right answer.
- 1 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- Marking scheme will be applicable to MCQ type questions only.
CAT 2019 Syllabus
The conducting body doesn’t issue any official syllabus for CAT exam. The applicants are recommended to prepare subject-wise- Data Interpretation, Verbal Ability & English, Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Ability/ Mathematics are the major subjects. There are various CAT preparation books by renowned publications available in the market. Moreover, the specialized CAT coaching institutes at your disposal may inch you towards success. But self-study is of utmost importance to cover the CAT 2019 syllabus.
CAT 2019 Admit Card
The admit cards are made available for download on the official website 4-6 weeks before the examination date. It’s an important piece of paper which a candidate needs to carry to get an entry in the examination room.
Some Important Points related to CAT 2019 Admit Card:
- The admit cards will be issued to only those aspirants who have successfully registered for CAT Application 2019.
- Official website of the conducting body is the right address to download the admit card.
- Candidates will need to feed their login credentials to download their admit cards.
- Carrying admit card is mandatory for the candidates while appearing for the exam.
- The aspirants are also advised to keep one of their valid ID proof (PAN Card, Driving License, Aadhaar Card, etc.
Details depicting on the admit card:
The CAT 2019 Admit Card will carry the below details:
- Name of the candidate
- Roll Number
- Date & Timing of Exam
- Login Details
- Registration Number
- PWD Status (if applicable)
CAT 2019 Result
The result of CAT is expected to be declared somewhere in the mid of January 2020. The result will be declared online only. Once the candidates enter their ID & roll number on the official website, the CAT 2019 scorecard will appear and the aspirants will have to download the same. The result will be announced online only and no individual scorecard will be sent through any other mode such as post or courier.
Tips to Qualify CAT 2019 with Flying Colors
- Time Management- Distribute your time equally to prepare for all the subjects to score well in all the sections of the exam.
- Practice Mock Test- Focus on practicing the mock tests available on the internet. The previous years’ papers are also the good source of preparation.
- Optimize Problem Solving Speed- Try to finish the previous years’ question papers well before the time. It will help you complete your exam on time.
- Make a Timetable- Your study timetable should incorporate at least 10 hours per day when you are left with 6 months to prepare for the CAT 2019 exam.
- Exam Day Instructions- Take a good sound sleep before the last night of exam. Keep all the essentials ready such as admit card, valid ID proof, stationery, etc.
Books Available for CAT 2019 Preparation
- Trishna’s- verbal ability and logical reasoning for the CAT and other MBA exams
- Norman Lewis: word power made easy
- Nishit Sinha: The personal guide to verbal ability and logical reasoning
- How to prepare for the verbal ability and reading comprehension for the CAT
- How to prepare for the Quantitative ability for CAT published by Tata Mcgraw Hill
- How to prepare for Data interpretation and logical reasoning
- Arun Sharma- The complete Digest by Tata McGraw-hill
This is the best information we could provide about the different aspects of CAT 2019 after gathering from authentic sources. Stay tuned to us as we will update each & every latest detail once furnished by the conducting authority. All the best for your future endeavors!