CAT 2019 Exam Pattern – The candidates willing to appear in the entrance test of CAT 2019 for pursuing postgraduate management programs either from any of the 20 IIMs or other institutes accepting the score of the CAT must start their preparation from now onwards as it is considered to be the toughest entrance test for management. Therefore, to qualify it in a single attempt, a thorough practice is required by formulating the proper study chart based on the exam pattern that shows the pattern of the test paper including the number and type of questions, mode and medium of the paper that will be computer-based in English Medium and above all, the marking scheme that is the most important information one can seek by previewing the exam pattern. Therefore, according to the exam pattern of IBSAT, the candidates will obtain 3 marks for the correct answers and 1 mark will be deducted for the incorrect one. Now, those candidates who have really made the mindset to get into best institutes on their own merit must read the article carefully.
Revised CAT 2019 Exam Pattern
There are three sections with the total of 100 questions and the time duration for each section is one hour, according to the new CAT 2019 Exam Pattern. The candidates need to score high in each of the three sections as there is also the provision of sectional cut off for selection in IIMs. Also, negative marking is conducted by the examination department for every wrong answer.
Let’s discourse about the CAT 2019 Exam Pattern:
- Total No. of Question– The total number of sections is three and total questions are 100.
- MCQs are 75
- Non-MCQs are 25
- Mode of Exam– The CAT 2019 will be conducted through an online mode (Computer-based Exam)
- Marking Scheme – candidates will obtain 3 marks for the correct answer and for the wrong answer, 1 mark will be deducted. But the negative marking will be applicable for the MCQ section only.
|Section name||No. of questions||MCQs ( negative marking)||Non-MCQs (Without negative marking)||Total marks|
|Quant||34||23 to 27||7 to 10||102|
|VARC||34||24 to 27||7 to 10||102|
CAT exam will be held on 24th November 2019 (Sunday). The exam will take place in two sessions, morning and afternoon. This is the final exam pattern declared by the examination conducting body (IIM) and no further changes will be made.
Most of the candidates are puzzled and confused about the mode of the examination that whether it would be an online paper or offline. Responding to all such queries, Indian Institute of Management has clarified everything and quoted that the test would not be online, rather it would be digital or a computer-based test which is called CBT. This won’t be an internet-based test (IBT) where the exam will be given on online site. The applicants will not have to mark the answer sheet on paper instead they will be giving the test on computer and simply click on the right answers.
Therefore CAT 2019 examination would not be an online exam and the candidates need not have to struggle much for completing the test. The computer-based test (CBT) is quite easy to apprehend with no rocket science involved in simply clicking on the correct answers. Also, the remaining time left for the exam will be indicated by the timer on the screen.
CAT 2019 Exam Pattern- Sections and Subsections
IIM Ahmadabad has completely changed the structure of the CAT exam in 2015 and since then the pattern is the same for all the three sections. Let’s learn about sectional key facts of CAT 2019 Exam Pattern:
Section 1 – Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
- For questions of verbal ability, there are three topics only – Para-summary, jumbled paragraph and choosing the odd one (sentence) out from jumbled sentences.
- Level of the test is moderate to very tough
- A mix of MCQs and non-MCQs – 10
- RC based questions (MCQs) – 24
- RC passages – 5
- The total MCQs – 24 to 27
- The total Non-MCQs – 7 to 10
- The total number of questions – 34
- Vocabulary and grammar-based questions are not there since the pattern has been changed.
Section 2 – Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)
- DI questions – 16
- Level – moderate to tough
- LR questions – 16
- The questions are more time taking; hence the candidates may end up with short of time.
- Total MCQs – 28
- Total Non-MCQs – 8
- Total number of questions – 32
- The total set of questions – 4
Section 3 – Quantitative Ability (Quant)
- Arithmetic questions are more in numbers like time and speed, percentage, compound interest, profit, and loss, etc.
- Level of difficulty – moderate to tough
- Total number of MCQs – 23 to 27
- Total number of non – MCQs – 7 to 11
- Total number of questions – 34
The Apex of CAT 2019 Exam Pattern
|Duration of the exam||3 hours (180 min)|
|Total No. of Sections||3|
|Sectional Duration||1 hour (60 min)|
|Total No. of Questions||100|
|Marks per question||3|
|Negative marking for wrong answer||-1|
Major Points in CAT 2019 Exam Pattern
- CAT 2019 examination is a Computer-based Test and the allotted time is 3 hours for the candidates.
- CAT exam consists of into three main sections and each one is of 60 minutes duration.
- Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR) and Quantitative Aptitude (QA), these are the three sections which will be included in the CAT 2019 examination.
- The three sections also consist of subsections as per the revised CAT exam 2019 pattern. The questions based on Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension subsections will be consisting of the first section and the second section will contain the questions that are based on Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning.
- To solve a particular section the candidates are allotted 1 hour. The candidates are not allowed to switch to other sections and to solve the questions.
- The candidates are not permitted to leave their seats in the middle of the examination.
- For MCQs, the candidates need to choose one right answer out of 4 options.
- For Non-MCQs all the questions answered need to be correct.
- In the revised pattern of CAT 2019 examination, the answer options will not be there for non-MCQs.
- No matter whether it is MCQ or Non-MCQ, each right answer will award the candidate with three marks
- For each incorrect answer for MCQ, the candidate will have to bear the penalty of 1/3 negative mark.
- For all Non-MCQs, the incorrect answers won’t trouble the candidate from the penalty of negative marking.
A month before the main examination, the CAT 2019 mock test will get released by the IIMs for the candidates to know about the exact pattern.
The aspirants are free to resolve all their CAT 2019 exam pattern related queries by posting the same in the comment box below. Our experts will get in touch with them in no time.