CAT 2019 – CAT, an elision for Common Admission Test is a national level entrance which has been conducted in over 144 cities and 374 test centres across the country for the candidates longing to seek admission in top 20 IIMs and other B-schools for the postgraduate management programs such as MBA, PGDM, etc. The entrance test of CAT 2019 will be conducted on 24th November 2019 and the result for the same will be declared in January 2020. Now, the candidates ought to download the result on a priority basis to check their overall and sectional marks. Further, based on the marks acquired in CAT 2019, each participating institute for which the candidates had applied during registration will call the selected candidates to participate in selection procedure round. In selection procedure round, candidates have to go through WAT, GD, and PI and later on depending on other components the final merit list will be released for the candidates to get admission in their choice of college. Lastly, go through the article to have detailed information about CAT 2019.
Latest Update: IIM Kozhikode has started the online mode application form on 7 August 2019, go through the link given below to access the same:
Institute of Management (IIM): A Brief Introduction
The Indian Institute of Management is known to the autonomous body of a collection of 20 public, individual institutes of management education framing the futures of millions of management prodigies by offering them postgraduate, doctoral and executive education programs, respectively. They run out all the day-to-day procedures through sole compliance. The two year PGP and PGDM are the core responsibilities in the pockets and possession of IIM’s across the country. CAT is not conducted by any other B-schools except IIM’s. Moreover, there are 20 IIMs across the country that offers postgraduate, doctoral, and executive programs to the candidates.
Therefore, the candidates are recommended to go thoroughly through the article in order to get the relevant and upgraded information about the CAT 2019 important dates, CAT 2019 registration process, eligibility criteria, result, selection procedure etc.
CAT 2019 Exam: Highlights
CAT stands for Common Admission Test, which is meant to one of the most reputed entrance examinations conducted at the significant national level for all the students who aim to blend their futures in the enumerated top notch B-Schools for MBA and PGDM courses, respectively.
|1||Date of the Examination||25th November 2019|
|2||Examination Conducting Body||IIM Kozhikode|
|3||Mode of Examination||Online|
|5||Duration of Examination||180 Minutes or 3 hours|
|6||Examination Eligibility||Minimum 50% marks in any Bachelor’s degree (for general category candidates) and 45% for reserved category candidates.|
|7||Courses Offered||Postgraduate Management courses|
|8||Minimum Cutoff Percentile||60 %|
The candidates after checking the eligibility criteria must move ahead for doing the registration that has been started from 7th August 2019 by IIM Kozhikode and continued until 26th September 2019 through online mode. However, the candidates have to follow certain steps for executing the registration process. Therefore, let’s have a glimpse of the steps the candidates have to go through while doing the registration for CAT 2019:
CAT 2019 Registration Procedures (Started)
- First of all, the candidates have to visit the official website of CAT 2019.
- To register themselves, the candidates must click on the option of “ New User”
- Secondly, fill all the required details asked for such as name, valid email id, mobile number and the captcha code.
- Thenceforth, the login credential will be generated and will be sent to the registered id and mobile number of the candidates.
- Lastly, using the login credentials i.e. ID and password, the candidates will be able to fill up the application form.
CAT 2019 Important Dates to Discover
The important dates of CAT 2019 have been released by the conducting body i.e. IIM Kozhikode with the release of notification. Now, according to the important dates of CAT 2019, the entrance test will be conducted on 24th November 2019 (Sunday) for the candidates willing to pursue postgraduate management programs from any of the 20 IIMs or other top B-school across the country. However, the candidates to appear in the CAT 2019 exam need to remain updated with each forthcoming event. Therefore, the aspiring candidates are suggested to go through the following table that contains the CAT 2019 important dates of every event and above all, candidates must try to go for each event on a priority basis in order to avoid the last-minute rush:
|S.No.||CAT 2019 Events||Important Dates|
|1||Releasing Date of CAT 2019 Notification||28th July 2019|
|2||Commencement of CAT 2019 Application Form||7th August 2019|
|3||Last Date to Submit the Application Form||18th September 2019|
|4||Application Form Correction Window||Last week of September 2019|
|5||Availability of CAT 2019 Admit Card||23rd October 2019|
|6||Mock Test||Last week of October 2019|
|7||CAT 2019 Test||24th November 2019|
|8||Cut Off Release||Last week of November 2019|
|9||Release of Answer Key||December 2019|
|10||Declaration of CAT 2019 Result||January 2020|
The candidate before filling the application form or in other words, before the registration process must check the eligibility criteria set up by the examination conducting authority. The candidates if fill up the application form without fulfilling the requirements or eligibility criteria, it can lead into the rejection of the form by examination officials. Therefore, it is mandatory for the candidates to check out the following to have the idea about the overall eligibility criteria:
- The candidates holding the bachelor’s degree from any of the recognized universities can apply for the CAT 2019 exam.
- Furthermore, for the candidates belonging to the general category should have obtained 50% of aggregate marks whereas, candidates of reserved category get the relaxation of 5%, therefore, the reserved category candidates only need 45% in order to be eligible for filling up the application form for appearing in the CAT exam.
- Besides holding bachelor’s degree, candidates in the final year of graduation can also apply for the same.
- Above all, candidates of all age can fill out the application form as there is no age limit set up by the conducting body.
CAT 2019 Application Form Filling Procedures
The candidates after completion of the registration process must proceed for filling up the application form through online mode merely. So, hereby, we have provided the steps in the detailed form for the convenience of the candidates. Therefore, all the candidates must go through the following to have the better idea:
- Firstly, the candidates ought to visit the official website.
- Further, enter all the personal details such as name, date of birth, parent’s name, category, gender, nationality etc. At the same time, the candidates have uploaded the scanned signature and photographs in the prescribed format:
Dimension of Photograph and Signature for CAT 2019 Application Form
|Image||File Size||Dimensions||File Format||Image resolution|
|Photograph||Not more than 80 KB||30 mm(width) x 45 mm ( height)||JPEG/ JPG||150px/ inch|
|Signature||80 mm(width) x 35 mm ( height)|
- After filling up all the personal details in the application form, the candidate has to fill the academic details including the mark sheet of 10th, 12th, graduation or of other professional courses.
- Moreover, after completing the above-mentioned process, the candidates have to submit their work experience (if any). Moreover, the candidates will get the option to select the applicable industry type from the list of industries.
- The candidates might be aware of the programs that are offered by the 20 IIMs. Therefore, the aspirants while filling the application form have to opt any of the programs and also the interview city for the selection procedure round. However, for the news 6 IIMs, candidates can select the same city for an interview round.
- Besides entering all the aforementioned info, candidates ought to select the at least 4 test cities as per their preference and convenience as well. But for this, they must have gone through or checked the list of CAT 2019 exam centres.
- At last, after submitting all the relevant details, pay the application fee of Rs. 1900 (for general category candidates) and Rs 950/- for the reserved one.
CAT 2019: Documents Required While Filling the Application Form
While filling the application form, the candidates need to carry the entire significant document to enter or fill the required details asked for. Therefore, for the convenience of the candidates, we have provided the information about the documents in below steps. Hence, check the following details before proceeding for filling up of application form:
- The first thing that the candidates must keep ready is documents containing the personal details.
- Secondly, to upload academic details must keep the mark sheet of matriculation (10th), intermediate (12th) and graduation and experience letter (if any).
- A photograph of dimension 30mm x 45mm and size 80KB and Signature of the applicant of dimension 80mm x 35mm and size 80KB
|Photograph||30mm X 45mm||80 KB|
|Signature||80mm X 35mm||80KB|
The application fee for CAT 2019 has increased than the previous years as prescribed by the examination regulating authority. However, the application fee for CAT 2019 can be paid in online mode and it varies category-wise. Therefore, it is obligatory for the candidates to check the application fee that is mentioned below in the tabular form:
CAT 2019 Application Fee
|Gen & other categories||Rs. 1900 + Transaction Procession Fee|
|SC, ST, and PWD||Rs. 950 + Transaction Procession Fee|
*Apart from the application fee, the candidates also have an idea about the transaction charges that need to be paid along with the fee. Therefore, let’s have a glance at it:
|Payment modes||Transaction Charges|
|Credit card (Amex)||2.85 percent of the transaction amount and subject to a minimum of Rs 5|
|Credit card||1.20 percent of the transaction amount and subject to a minimum of Rs 5|
|Net Banking||Rs 20 per transaction|
|Debit card||0.75 percent of the Transaction amount for value up to Rs. 2000 and subject to a minimum of Rs. 5|
|1.00% of Transaction amount for the value|
The applicants will be able to make correction their CAT 2019 application form. Read further to know more about correction details:
CAT 2019 Application Form Correction
- The application form correction window will openin the last week of September 2019 and will continue until 30th September 2019.
- The candidates can edit the details that will be filling in the application form. However, the candidates can make changes in the limited field such as in percentage, work experience section etc.
- Moreover, the details filled in the exam centers, academic record sections cannot be edited at any cost.
- Above all, the candidates to make corrections will need to log in through their user ID & password.
CAT 2019 Exam Pattern Section-Wise
The exam pattern is supposed to be one of the significant components for clearing the toughest exam i.e. CAT. Therefore, the candidates to score high percentile must go through the exam pattern to have detailed information about the overall pattern including time duration, mode, and medium, question-type, marking scheme etc. Hence, let’s have a look at the CAT 2019 Exam Pattern that is mentioned below comprehensively:
- Mode– The entrance test of CAT 2019 will be conducted through online mode i.e. Computer-based program.
- Medium– The question paper of CAT 2019 will be totally in English medium.
- Sections– CAT 2019 question paper will contain questions from 3 sections that are Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, and Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension.
- Number of Questions– The total number of 100 questions will be asked in CAT 2019.
- Time Duration– The candidates will be allotted 3 hours or 180 minutes for completing their examination paper.
- Marking Scheme– Now, as per the marking scheme, 3 marks will be awarded to the candidates for each correct answer, and that for the incorrect answer, 1 mark will be deducted.
|Section||No. of MCQs||No. of Non-MCQs||Questions from each section||Total Marks||Time allotted to each section (minutes)|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)||24||10||34||102||60|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DI & LR)||24||8||32||96||60|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||27||7||34||102||60|
The syllabus for any exam is supposed to be the key to crack or qualify for any of the exams. Therefore, the candidates are recommended to go through the syllabus in order to formulate the study chart and follow accordingly to score high percentile. Moreover, the candidates on going through this section will get overall information about the different sections and the topics covered under them:
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC) – This section aims at testing the writing ability and the English Proficiency of the candidate’s. Therefore, the candidates to score good marks must-read novels, magazines, newspapers, journals etc. to fortify their vocabulary and to learn the way of attractive writing. However, in the reading comprehension section, the candidates will be given the topic to write the composition on at least 250-300 words wherein their writing skills will be checked. Hence, below mentioned are the topics for the candidates to cover in this section:
- Fill in the Blanks
- Sentence Correction
- Jumbled Paragraph
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Verbal Reasoning
- Analogies etc.
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) – The questions asked in this section is to check the problem-solving ability. The candidates need to solve the complex or tricky questions using any trick or method appropriately. Therefore, let’s have a look at the following topics covered in DILR:
Logical Reasoning (LR)
- Binary Logic
- Blood Relations
- Clocks and Calendars
- Seating Arrangement
- Family Tree
Data Interpretation (DI)
- Line Graph
- Bar Graph
- Combination of Graphs
- Data Sufficiency
- Pie Chart
- Tables etc.
- Quantitative Ability (QA) – This section comprises of those topics that aim at checking the mathematical skills of the candidates. Therefore, candidates need to go through the following topics:
- LCM &HCF
- Ratio & Proportion
- Profit and Loss
- Arithmetic Progression
- Speed & Distance
- Trigonometry etc.
CAT 2019 Admit Card Availability
The admit card for CAT 2019 will be made available on 23th October 2019 by the administrating body i.e. IIM Kozhikode through online mode. Therefore, the candidates after the availability of admit card must download it on a priority basis for avoiding the last minute rush. Moreover, the candidates after downloading the admit card must check whether all the information mentioned on it are correct or not. If not, get it rectified by consulting the officials. Now, check the following steps to generate the CAT 2019 admit card:
Steps to be followed for downloading the admit card:
- Visit the official website of CAT i.e. iimcat.ac.in
- Click on the option to “Download Admit Card”
- Enter the login credentials i.e. user id and password generated after completion of registration form.
- Now the new page will open, click on the option of admit card. Post which an admit card will appear on the screen.
- Download it and take the print out for the further reference.
Note*- The candidates must hold their admit card with any of the documents from driving license, passport, voter id, etc while going to appear for CAT 2019 exam.
The CAT 2019 exam centres have been set up by the examination conducting body for the candidates to appear for the CAT 2019 examination. The candidates can select their choice of exam centre at the time of filling the application form. Therefore, the candidates are recommended to select the 4 centres properly as they won’t get the chance to make any changes during the opening of application form correction window. So, go through the list of exam centres to have a better idea about it:
|Exam States||Exam Cities|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Port Blair|
|Andhra Pradesh||Tirupati, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Chittoor, Kurnool, Nellore|
|Bihar||Muzaffarpur, Patna, Purnea, Aurangabad, Gaya|
|Gujarat||Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Anand, Gandhinagar|
|Haryana||Palwal, Panipat, Rohtak, Sonipat, Ambala, Bahadurgarh, Faridabad, Gurgaon|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Jammu|
|Jharkhand||Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Dhanbad|
|Karnataka||Mysore, Ramnagara, Shimoga, Tumkur, Udupi, Davanagere, Hasan, Kolar, Mandya, Mangalore, Belgaum, Bengaluru, Bidar, Chikballapur|
|Kerala||Malappuram, Thrissur, Trivandrum, Kasaragod, Kochi, Kozhikode, Kollam|
|Madhya Pradesh||Jabalpur, Sagar, Bhopal, Indore, Gwalior|
|Maharashtra||Pune, Ratnagiri, Satara, Solapur, Thane, Ahmednagar, Amravati, Aurangabad, Nanded, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Mumbai, Nagpur|
|Odisha||Rourkela, Sambalpur, Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Balasore, Berhampur|
|Punjab||Patiala, Ropar, Sangrur, Fatehgarh Sahib, Mohali, Pathankot, Jalandhar, Ludhiana|
|Rajasthan||Kota, Sikar, Udaipur, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Ajmer, Alwar|
|Tamil Nadu||Tiruchirappalli, Tirunelvelli, Chennai, Madurai, Namakkal, Thanjavur, Coimbatore|
|Telangana||Karim Nagar, Khammam, Hyderabad|
|Uttar Pradesh||Meerut, Noida, Varanasi, Agra, Allahabad, Bareilly, Greater Noida, Kanpur, Lucknow, Mathura, Ghaziabad, Gorakhpur|
|West Bengal||Kalyani, Kolkata, Siliguri, Durgapur, Hooghly, Howrah, Asansol, Burdwan|
>The candidates need to make the proper notes and strategize the study plan on the daily, weekly and monthly basis.
The candidates who will be appearing in the CAT 2019 exam need proper preparation for scoring good marks in the exam. Therefore, the aspirants need to strategize the study plan first then to follow it accordingly. So, hereby, we have provided some of the significant tips and trick that will prove to be beneficial for the betterment of the candidates. Henceforth, go through the following to fetch all the required tips and tricks:
CAT 2019 Preparation Tips and Tricks
> Go through the syllabus and exam pattern, and also analyze the weakest portion for fortifying in afterward.
>Take the help from the reference books and study material in order to learn different tricks or methods for solving similar kind of complex question. Therefore, the suggestion for some of the best books is mentioned below for the ease of the candidates:
- How to prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT- Arun Sharma
- How to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT – Arun Sharma
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension- Nishit K Sinha
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT – Nishit K Sinha
Go for solving previous year’s question as well as sample papers for having the idea about the difficulty level of the exam and to know the overall pattern of the test paper.
Take an online mock test for enhancing the accuracy and to boost up the speed for solving tough questions
Do not waste too much of time on a single topic and try to keep some time for the revision too.
Lastly, don’t panic. Instead, stay calm and confidence for the exam
The candidates willing to get into either IIM or top B-school need to prepare properly that can only be done on solving sample papers for this year as well as of previous years. Solving the sample papers help the candidates to analyze their weakest portion and to strengthen it by practicing more. Therefore, the candidates to increase their accuracy and speed as well must download the sample papers from the links given in the below mentioned table:
|CAT Sample Paper – 1||Click Here|
|CAT Sample Paper – 2||Click Here|
|CAT Sample Paper – 3||Click Here|
|CAT Sample Paper – 1||Click Here|
|CAT Sample Paper – 2||Click Here|
|CAT Sample Paper – 3||Click Here|
The answer key for CAT 2019 has been released after the completion of the exam on 24th November 2019 i.e. in the first week of December 2019. The conducting body of CAT 2019 i.e. IIM Kozhikode has released the answer key for the convenience of the candidates to know the estimate marks that will be acquired by the candidates in the examination of CAT 2019. The answer key comprises of the correct answers for both MCQ and Non-MCQ questions. However, candidates to get the estimate marks must know the marking scheme that is mentioned above in the exam pattern section. Now, for the ease of the candidates, we are providing the steps to download the answer key:
- Firstly, visit the official website of CAT i.e. iimcat.ac.in
- A new window will appear on the screen.
- Enter the login credentials i.e. ID and Password and then click on the “Login” button.
- A file will be displayed on the screen in PDF format.
- Click on the PDF file and then download it and take the print out for the further usage.
CAT 2019 Result Updates
The result of the CAT 2019 will be declared in the month of January 2020. Therefore, the candidates to download their result have to visit the official website as the scorecard can be downloaded in online mode merely. Also, candidates will also receive SMS containing the CAT percentile. Henceforth, let’s have a look at the following steps to have the proper idea about the procedure to download the result or scorecard:
- First of all, Candidates must visit the official website and click on the link to download the result.
- Enter the login credentials i.e. ID and Password.
- Click on the “Login”
- The scorecard or the result of the candidates will appear on the screen.
- Lastly, download the result and preserve it for the admission procedure.
CAT 2019 Cutoff Scenes
In order to get qualified or say, shortlisted by the participating institutes where the candidates aspire to study further they are expected to fulfill the minimum cutoff percentile. However, the cutoff set up each participating institute varies from one another. Therefore, the candidates must check the cutoff percentile after releasing by each participating institutes which they apply for at the time of filling the application form. Moreover, the cutoff percentile also do not remain the same every year and changes depending on the factors like availability of the seat, number of candidates, the difficulty level of the exam etc.
Previous Year’s CAT Cutoff
|Name of Colleges||Weight-age of CAT Score||Weight-age of Academic Profile||Cut Off Percentile|
|IIM Calcutta||37||30 (Remaining 3% for girl candidates)||99|
For More Information about Previous Year Cutoffs of CAT Exam – Check Here
CAT 2019 Selection Procedure
The CAT 2019 selection Procedure is the framework set by each IIM’s for admission of the candidates into the same. So, the candidates after fulfilling the cutoff percentile set up by each IIM or other participating get selected for the further round of selection procedure that involves Group Discussion (GD), Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI) rounds. Therefore, the candidates before attending or taking part in these rounds must fetch the comprehensive info that is below cited in the bullet form:
- In WAT round, the candidates’ are given any topic to write a composition on it in certain word count wherein the writing ability of the candidates’, their way of writing using new words are checked.
- Moreover, in GD round, the 12-15 number of candidates is allotted in one group and they are given a topic for discussion wherein their knowledge on the topic, leadership and negotiation skills etc is tested by the examiner.
- Above all, candidates after clearing the GD and WAT rounds are sent for the PI round where the candidates face the panel of the examiner. In PI round, the candidates are asked the general questions and in between their body language, gesture, the presence of mind, communication skills etc are measured.
CAT 2019 Reservation Rules
|PWD (Person with Disability)||3%|
|ST (Scheduled Tribe)||7.50%|
|SC (Scheduled Caste)||15%|
|OBC-NC (Other Backward Class – Non-Creamy Layer)||27%|
Q.1- What are the minimum marks required on the part of the last year graduates for the appearing in the CAT 2019?CAT 2019 FAQ’s
Ans-Generally, the students belonging to the general or OBC category must acquire at least 50% in their graduation from a reputed institution and it is 45% expected from the SC/ST or other reserved category candidates.
Q.2- Is there any provision for correction in the check “How to fill CAT Online Application Form 2019”, once it is submitted?
Ans- Yes, you can make the correction in a few of the fields, including communication address, uploaded documents, & academic qualification details except percentage marks scored after making payment. For other corrections, the window will be made available in the last week of September 2019.
Q.3- Can I use my personal laptop/computer to attempt the test?
Ans- No, the system will be assigned to the test center. Only that system can be used to attempt the test.
Q.4- Is there any official syllabus for CAT 2019 exam?
Ans-There will be a syllabus prescribed in the official website from the previous year records and analysis for the same for reference. Altogether, there is no predefined syllabus for the CAT 2019 exam.
Q.5- Is there any offline fee payment method?
Ans- No. the candidates can make the payment of application fee for CAT 2019 in online mode using credit card/ debit card or net banking merely.
The articulation above is aimed towards providing valid information on the facts, figures, eligibility, application and registration procedure, result, cutoff, and other news and notification updates that are relevant for the candidates appearing in the significant CAT 2019. Referring to the above or the official website can assist the applicants to pass out with flying colors.