CAT 2018 – CAT, an acronym for Common Admission Test is a national level entrance test that is conducted on the rotational basis by its conducting body and the apex one i.e. IIM ( Indian Institute of Management). The candidates on clearing the entrance test of CAT can easily get into any of the top b-schools across the country. CAT 2018 entrance test offers post graduate management programs like MBA, PGDM etc. for the candidates. The candidates to apply for the CAT exam must check the eligibility criteria. Moreover, the aspirants should also go through the important dates that will help them in remaining updated with all the event of CAT including the important dates of availability of application form, date for downloading the admit card, date of examination etc. The entrance examination of CAT 2018 will be conducted on 25th November 2018 whose convener will be Prof. Sumanta Basu. The candidates might be aware that CAT 2017 was conducted by IIM, Lucknow whereas for CAT 2018, IIM Calcutta will be responsible for conducting the exam. Moreover, the benefit of appearing in CAT exam is that the candidates can also get into other prestigious or top B-Schools.
Therefore, the candidates willing to go for the aforementioned programs need to go through the article in order to have the detailed information regarding the CAT exam, important dates, eligibility criteria, application form, exam pattern, syllabus, result, cutoff etc.
CAT 2018 Important Dates
Though the CAT 2018 Important Dates for all the events of CAT 2018 are not announced yet the CAT 2018 exam will be conducted on 25th November 2018. Now, the candidates must go through the below mentioned table to know the tentative dates for each CAT 2018 events. Once the actual dates are rolled out, we will update the same here:
|CAT 2018 Events||Dates (Tentative)|
|Notification Issuance||Last week of July 2018|
|Online Registration Window Opening||2nd week of August 2018|
|Closing date for Registration||3rd week of September 2018|
|Application Correction Window||4th week of September 2018|
|Admit Card Download Date||3rd week of October 2018|
|Mock Test||3rd week of October 2018|
|CAT Test||25th November 2018|
|Cut Off Release||Last week of November 2018|
|Answer Key Release||1st week of December 2018|
|Result Announcement||2nd week of January 2019|
CAT 2018 Registration Process
Read the below-given information to enrich your knowledge about the procedure to register for CAT 2018 details including commencement of the application form, application fee, documental needs, etc.
- The most probable time for the opening of online CAT 2018 registration window is the second week of August 2018.
- The third week of September 2018 is considered to be the last date for CAT 2018
- The candidates need to upload their image and signature in JPEG/JPG format according to the dimensions shown in the below table:
|Photograph||30mm X 45mm||80 KB|
|Signature||80mm X 35mm||80KB|
- The candidates need to upload the category certificate too while filling the CAT 2018 application form to avail the benefits.
- The candidates will have to select four (4) test cities according to their preferences and convenience.
- Candidates should get the printout of their completed CAT 2018 application form for the further reference.
- Candidates need to pay their registration fee along with the application form through online payment modes via Credit card/ Debit Card or Net Banking etc.
- Go through below mentioned table to know CAT 2018 Application fee:
|Gen & other categories||Rs. 1800 + Transaction Procession Fee|
|SC, ST, and PWD||Rs. 900 + Transaction Procession Fee|
CAT 2018 Application Form Correction
The applicants will be able to make correction their CAT 2018 application form. Read further to know more about correction details:
- Online correction window for CAT 2018 application form will most probably open in the 4thweek of September 2018.
- There will be limited fields that can be corrected.
- Last year, the correction was allowed for some details like address, category, gender, qualification, work experience, test city preference, interview venue preference, etc.
- Mistakes like document uploading errors, wrong communication address, and other than the aforesaid personal details can’t be changed or corrected. A new registration with a new email id is the best solution to fix such mistakes.
- Candidates will need to log in through their user ID & password to make the correction.
CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria
Let’s have an idea about CAT 2018 eligibility criteria
Age: There will be no age restriction for participating in the CAT examination.
Minimum Qualification: Graduation degree in any stream from a recognized university.
Marks Required: Candidates must have obtained at least 50% marks in 10+2+3. Aspirants from SC/ST/PWD categories will get relaxation of 5%.
Candidates, who are in final year of graduation, can also apply for CAT 2018.
Candidates who possess equal qualification recognized by MHRD, Government of India (including AMICE of the Institution of Civil Engineers (India) will also be eligible for CAT 2018.
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern
Let’s explore the CAT 2018 exam pattern in this section:
- Mode of Exam: It’s a computer-based exam i.e. digital.
- Exam Sessions: There will be 2 sessions of CAT 2018 Exam.
- Duration: The candidates will get 3 hours (180 hours) to complete this paper.
- Question Type: Objective as well as subjective- both types of questions will be asked in this exam.
- Questions: There will be total 100 questions in the CAT Examination Paper.
- Marking Scheme: Candidate will obtain 3 marks for each correct answer.
- Negative Marking: There will be no negative marking applicable on subjective-type questions whereas 1 markwill be deducted for each wrong answer in objective-type section.
Section-wise Division of Marks with other Details:
|Section I||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||60 Minutes||34||102|
|Section II||Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||60 Minutes||32||96|
|Section III||Quantitative Ability||60 Minutes||34||102|
CAT 2018 Syllabus
The conducting authority will not issue any prescribe of CAT 2018 syllabus for examination. There are 3 sections i.e. Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning & Quantitative Ability. Candidates need to prepare accordingly. Let’s take a look at the subject-wise CAT 2018 Syllabus further and candidates can check CAT 2018 exam analysis
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC):
Reading Comprehension: Direct and inferential questions in this section will put up a challenge for the candidates. The comprehension passages of 250-500 words will also test the knowledge of the candidates.
English Usage: The candidates need to have proficiency in English grammar and verbal reasoning to solve the questions like Fill in the Blanks, Sentence Correction, Grammar, Antonyms, Synonyms, Verbal Reasoning, etc.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI & LR):
This section aims at testing the problem-solving skills of the candidates. The questions in this section are too complex as compared to other sections. The candidates for this section must take the help of the reference books to learn various tips and trick to solve such kind of tricky questions.
|Bar Graph||Line Graph|
|Combination of Graphs||Pie Chart|
|Blood Relations||Seating Arrangement|
|Matching Puzzles||Family Tree|
|Clocks and Calendars||Venn Diagram|
Mathematics or Quantitative Ability (QA):
The candidate’s mathematical skills are checked in this section. This section contains only those question which are related to the mathematics. Therefore, let’s go through the following topics covered under this section as follows:
|Higher Math||Modern Mathematics|
CAT 2018 Preparation Tips
The biggest hack to crack CAT 2018 Exam is to do the hard work in a smart way. Let’s read further what we should obey for proper preparation of this exam, Know about Best Books for CAT Preparation 2018
- The candidates need to make the proper notes and strategize the study plan on the daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Take the help from the reference books and study material structured by renowned publications
- The candidates must also go for the online mock test that will help the candidates in learning the time management skills.
- Go for practicing the previous year’s sample and question papers to know the difficulty level of the paper.
- Do not waste too much of time on a single topic and try to keep some time for the revision too.
- Lastly, don’t panic. Instead, stay calm and confidence for the exam
CAT 2018 Admit Card
Candidates will be allowed to download their CAT 2018 admit card in the 3rd week of October 2018. Let’s run eye-balls further to know more about admit cards:
- CAT 2018 Admit Card can be downloaded through online mode by visiting the official website of IIM.
- Candidates need to log in with their credentials (Login ID & Password) to generate their CAT hall ticket.
- No individual admit cards will be sent via post or any other medium.
- No entry will be permitted in the examination hall without admit card and photo ID proof. Therefore, carry the CAT 2018 admit card and also one of the personal documents from voter id, passport, aadhar card etc.
CAT 2018 Cutoff
CAT 2018 Cutoff marks define whether the candidates will get the admission in the management colleges of their choice or not. The online cut off will be released after a few days of the CAT 2018 exam. It is expected that the CAT cut off 2018 will be released in the last week of November 2018. It is necessary for the candidates to fulfill the required percentile released by the particular IIM or any other participating institute.
The CAT 2018 cutoff will not remain the same as per the previous year as there are some factors that influence it like availability of seats, a difficulty level of the exam, number of candidates applying for the exam etc. Eventually, to know more, check the last year cut off to analyze the trend:
Institutions Categories General NC-OBC SC ST DA/PwD IIM, Ahmadabad 80 75 70 60 70 IIM, Bangalore 90 80 75 75 75 IIM, Calcutta >90 >85 >70 >70 >70 IIM, Kozhikode 90 80 65 55 55 IIM, Indore 90 80 60 50 50
CAT 2018 Answer Key
The answer key with question paper is expected to be released in the 1st week of December 2018. The CAT 2018 answer key will be issued on the official website only.
Like previous years, candidates can challenge the answer key by submitting the objection form. Keep your login credentials memorized to fetch the answer key by logging into your account.
- View Details Here
CAT 2018 Result
Check the below pointers to know about the CAT 2018 result details including the date for the declaration of result, mode of downloading the result or scorecard, etc.
- The expected date for the declaration of the CAT 2018 result is 2ndweek of January 2019.
- The list of candidates shortlisted for next steps of the admission will be published on the official website.
- CAT 2018 Score Card will also be provided online on the official website.
- The candidates will also be informed with SMS by the concerned institution.
- The validity of the scorecard is 1 year.
- Candidates will have the privilege to download their scorecard from the official website, using their login credentials and must take the print out for the further usage.
CAT 2018 Selection Procedure
The institution will not conduct any centralized counseling for CAT 2018 selection procedure.
- Every individual institution has its own set of admission & eligibility criteria. Hence, the process of shortlisting the candidates vary from IIM to IIM.
- The candidates after qualifying the CAT exam get shortlisted if they meet the cutoff percentile released by the institute. Further, the shortlisted candidates are called for Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD) & Personal Interviews (PI) rounds.
- The major grounds for admission are the previous academic record of the candidate, nature of work experience (if any), and guidelines of IIMs.
Cat 2018 FAQs
Read the questions and answers about CAT 2018 Faqs
Q.1. What is the minimum marks eligibility for graduation last year appearing candidates?
Ans- The last mark statement received from the college will be considered for minimum marks eligibility i.e. 50% marks in graduation.
Q.2. Is there any provision for correction in the check How to fill CAT Online Application Form 2018, once it is submitted?
Ans- Yes, you can make the correction in few of the fields, including communication address, uploaded documents & academic qualification details except percentage marks scored after making payment. For other corrections, the window will open in the 4th week of September 2018.
Q.3- Can I use my personal laptop/computer to attempt the test?
Ans- No, the system will be assigned to the test centre. Only that system can be used to attempt the test.
Q.4- Is there any official syllabus for CAT 2018?
Ans- No, there is no predefined syllabus for this exam.
Q.5- Is there any offline fee payment method?
Ans- No, you need to have a Debit Card/ Credit Card/ Net Banking Facility to make the payment online only.
- View Details Here
- Feel free to resolve all your CAT Latest Update 2018 related queries by posting the same in the comment box below. Our experts will get in touch with you in no time.