CAT 2018 – IIMs act as an apex body to organize CAT (Common Admission Test) every year to screen the candidates for the PG management programs running over there. The application form of Common Admission Test 2018 will be made available from 2nd week of August to 3rd week of September 2018. Interested candidates can register themselves for this India’s largest management entrance exam. CAT 2018 Exam will be held on 25th November 2018 (Sunday) and the convener for this year will be Prof. Sumanta Basu. Indian Institutes of Management, Calcutta will conduct CAT 2018 Exam. The entrance examination is conducted on the rotation basis. CAT 2018 is one of the most popular entrance examinations for the admission in the management program. Every year new elements and new changes are being made in the examination. However, the other prestigious Indian B-Schools also give weightage to the CAT percentile of a candidate in their admission process. After going through this article, the candidates will get familiar with the each and every detail about CAT 2018. The Cat 2018 notification will be issued in the last week of July 2018. Exam, like CAT 2018 application form, exam, eligibility, exam pattern, dates of exams, etc.
Though the CAT 2018 Important Dates for Examination are not yet announced, below table will let you know the tentative dates for this exam. Once the actual dates are rolled out, we will update the same here:
|CAT 2018 Events||Dates|
|Notification Issuance||Last week of July 2018|
|Online Registration Window Opening||2nd week of August 2018|
|Closing date for Registration||3rd week of September 2018|
|Application Correction Window||4th week of September 2018|
|Admit Card Download Date||3rd week of October 2018|
|Mock Test||3rd week of October 2018|
|CAT Test||25th November 2018|
|Cut Off Release||Last week of November 2018|
|Answer Key Release||1st week of December 2018|
|Result Announcement||2nd week of January 2019|
CAT 2018 Registration Process
Read the below-given information to enrich your knowledge about How to register for CAT 2018 details including start date, fee, documental needs, etc.
- The most probable time for the opening of online registration window is the second week of August 2018.
- The third week of September 2018 is considered to be the last date for CAT 2018 registration.
- You need to upload your images and signature in JPEG/JPG format according to the dimensions shown in the below table:
|Photograph||30mm X 45mm||80 KB|
|Signature||80mm X 35mm||80KB|
- While registering, the candidates, who belong to NC-OBC/SC/ST/PwD category, need to upload their category certificate to avail the benefits.
- Candidates will be able to select four (4) test cities according to their preferences and convenience.
- Candidates should get the printout of their completed CAT 2018 application form for further reference.
- Candidates can pay their registration fee through all online payment modes
- They can pay through Debit Cards (Visa/Master/Rupay), Credit Cards (Visa/Master/Amex/Diners Club), or Net Banking according to their convenience. Cash Cards and Payment Wallets will also be accepted.
- Go through below table to know CAT 2018 Application fee:
|Gen & other categories||Rs. 1800 + Transaction Procession Fee|
|SC, ST, and PwD||Rs. 900 + Transaction Procession Fee|
CAT 2018 Application Form Correction
The applicants will be able to make correction their CAT 2018 application form. Read further to know more about correction details:
- Online correction window for CAT 2018 application form will most probably open in the 4th week of September 2018.
- There will be limited fields that can be corrected.
- Last year, the correction was allowed for some details like address, category, gender, qualification, work experience, test city preference, interview venue preference, etc.
- Mistakes like document uploading errors, wrong communication address, and other than the aforesaid personal details can’t be changed or corrected. A new registration with a new email id is the best solution to fix such mistakes.
- Candidates will need to log in through their user ID & password to make the correction.
Let’s have an idea about CAT 2018 eligibility criteria:
Age: There will be no age restriction for participating in the CAT examination.
Minimum Qualification: Graduation degree in any stream from a recognized university.
Marks Required: Candidates must have obtained at least 50% marks in 10+2+3. Aspirants from SC/ST/PWD categories will get relaxation of 5%.
Candidates, who are in final year of graduation, can also apply for CAT 2018.
Candidates who possess equal qualification recognized by MHRD, Government of India (including AMICE of the Institution of Civil Engineers (India) will also be eligible for CAT 2018.
Let’s explore CAT 2018 exam pattern in this section:
- Mode of Exam: It’s a computer-based exam i.e. digital.
- Exam Sessions: There will be 2 sessions of CAT 2018 Exam.
- Duration: The candidates will get 3 hours (180 hours) to complete this paper.
- Question Type: Objective as well as subjective- both types of questions will be asked in this exam.
- Questions: There will be total 100 questions in the CAT Examination Paper.
- Marking Scheme: Candidate will obtain 3 marks for each correct answer.
- Negative Marking: There will be no negative marking applicable on subjective-type questions whereas 1 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer in objective-type section.
Section-wise Division of Marks with other Details:
|Section I||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||60 Minutes||34||102|
|Section II||Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||60 Minutes||32||96|
|Section III||Quantitative Ability||60 Minutes||34||102|
The conducting authority will not issue any prescribe of CAT 2018 syllabus for examination. There are 3 sections i.e. Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning & Quantitative Ability. Candidates need to prepare accordingly. Let’s take a look at the subject-wise CAT 2018 Syllabus further and candidates can check CAT 2018 exam analysis
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC):
Reading Comprehension: Direct and inferential questions in this section will put up a challenge for the candidates. The comprehension passages of 250-500 words will also test the knowledge of the candidates.
English Usage: You need to be a master of grammar and verbal reasoning to solve the questions like Fill in the Blanks, Sentence Correction, Grammar, Antonyms, Synonyms, Verbal Reasoning, etc.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI & LR):
|Bar Graph||Line Graph|
|Combination of Graphs||Pie Chart|
|Blood Relations||Seating Arrangement|
|Matching Puzzles||Family Tree|
|Clocks and Calendars||Venn Diagram|
Mathematics or Quantitative Ability (QA):
|Higher Math||Modern Mathematics|
CAT 2018 Preparation Tips
The biggest hack to crack CAT 2018 Exam is to do the hard work in a smart way. Let’s read further what we should obey for proper preparation of this exam, Know about Best Books for CAT Preparation 2018
- Sticky notes should always be accessible to jot down important points
- Explore the books and study material structured by renowned publications
- Try to invest some time in the workout to be healthy and active
- Browse online mock test and solve the same; make it a daily habit
- Spare the last week before the exam for a thorough revision
Candidates will be allowed to download their CAT 2018 admit card in the 3rd week of October 2018. Let’s run eye-balls further to know more about admit cards:
- CAT 2018 Admit Card can be downloaded online only.
- Candidates need to log in with their credentials (Login ID & Password) to get their CAT hall ticket.
- No individual admit cards will be sent via post or any other medium.
- No entry will be permitted in the examination hall without admit card and photo ID proof.
CAT 2018 Cutoff marks define whether the candidates will get the admission in the management colleges of their choice or not. The online cut off will be issued after few days of the CAT 2018 exam. It is expected that the CAT cut off 2018 will be released in the last week of November 2018.
IIMs, categories of the candidates, and sections are the determining factors for cut off. Check the last year cut off to analyze the trend:
The answer key with question paper is expected to be released in the 1st week of December 2018. The CAT 2018 answer key will be issued on the official website only.
Like previous years, candidates can challenge the answer key by submitting the objection form. Keep your login credentials memorized to fetch the answer key by logging into your account.
Check the below pointers to know about the CAT 2018 result details like result announcement date, mode, scorecard, etc.
- 2nd week of January 2019 will break the ice with CAT 2018 results.
- The list of candidates shortlisted for next steps of the admission will be published on the official website.
- CAT 2018 Score Card will also be provided online on the official website.
- The candidates will also be informed with SMS by the concerned institution.
- The validity of the scorecard is 1 year.
- Candidates will have the privilege to download their scorecard from the official website, using their login credentials.
The institution will not conduct any centralized counselling for CAT 2018 selection procedure.
- Every individual institution has its own set of admission & eligibility criteria. Hence, the candidate shortlisting process varies from IIM to IIM.
- The next steps after qualifying CAT exam are Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD) & Personal Interviews (PI) rounds.
- The major grounds for admission are the academic record of the candidate, nature of work experience (if any), and guidelines of IIMs.
Read the questions and answers about CAT 2018 Faqs
Q.1. What is the minimum marks eligibility for graduation last year appearing candidates?
Ans- The last mark statement received from the college will be considered for minimum marks eligibility i.e. 50% marks in graduation.
Q.2. Is there any provision for correction in the check How to fill CAT Online Application Form 2018, once it is submitted?
Ans- Yes, you can make the correction in few of the fields, including communication address, uploaded documents & academic qualification details except percentage marks scored after making payment. For other corrections, the window will open in the 4th week of September 2018.
Q.3- Can I use my personal laptop/computer to attempt the test?
Ans- No, the system will be assigned to the test centre. Only that system can be used to attempt the test.
Q.4- Is there any official syllabus for CAT 2018?
Ans- No, there is no predefined syllabus for this exam.
Q.5- Is there any offline fee payment method?
Ans- No, you need to have Debit Card/ Credit Card/ Net Banking Facility to make the payment online only.
Feel free to resolve all your CAT Latest Update 2018 related queries by posting the same in the comment box below. Our experts will get in touch with you in no time.