CAT 2018 syllabus – The syllabus for CAT 2018 is prescribed by the conducting body i.e. IIM Calcutta. Therefore, the candidates to qualify the entrance test of CAT must go through the syllabus first and follow it accordingly to score good percentile and to get into any of the IIMs or other participating institutes for postgraduate management programs. Therefore, the syllabus of CAT comprises of 3 sections: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR), and Quantitative Aptitude (QA) and also the topics covered in each section. However, candidates after going through the syllabus must strategize the proper study plan properly allotting equal time to each topic depending on the area the candidates face a problem or somewhere if are lagging behind. Apart from this, candidates should also go through the exam pattern in order to analyze the whole pattern of the test paper and the level of difficulty of the questions. Henceforth, candidates to gain in-depth information about the CAT 2018 syllabus and the preparation tips section wise must read the article thoroughly.
CAT 2018 Syllabus – Sectional Sub-division
The syllabus of CAT is further divided into sections. There are 5 sections of CAT 2018 syllabus as each section comprises of topics. According to the CAT 2018 syllabus, the VARC section is divided into topics based on Verbal Ability (VA) and Reading Comprehension (RC). Further, section of DILR is also divided topics wise based on Data Interpretation (DI) and Logical Reasoning (LR) and the last one is Quantitative Ability (QA).
CAT 2018 Syllabus Detailed Section- Wise
Candidates who have cracked or qualified for the exams like IIFT, XAT then cracking the CAT exam is not a tough task. However, as per the experts, coaching is not necessary to get success in the national level entrance examination but the candidates need to do is to strategize their planning and put genuine efforts make it possible.
VARC (Verbal ability and Reading Comprehension)
This section aims at checking the writing skills and English Proficiency of the candidates. The candidates to acquire desirable marks in this section must read magazines, newspapers, novels, journals etc. in order to fortify their vocabulary, synonyms etc. Therefore, the candidates must practice according to the topics that are mentioned below. So, let’s have a glance at the topics covered under this section.
- Fill in the blanks
- Sentence Correction
- Synonyms & Antonyms
- Verbal Reasoning
- Jumbled Paragraph
Reading Comprehension: For reading comprehension, the candidates will be given the passage of around 900 words based on current affairs, Literature; Science & Culture; Social and Economic issues, Abstract topics; history & fiction etc. to write wherein the views of the candidates will be checked.
Preparation Tips for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Candidates must start reading newspapers and magazines for this section to fortify their vocabulary and to remain updated with all the current happening that will help them for the questions asked in reading comprehension.
- Candidates must practice at least 3 passages per day and must make their own perception for each social or other issues.
- Solve previous years’ question papers to increase accuracy and strengthen the weakest portion.
- Take an online mock test to boost up the speed that will help during the exam as the CAT 2018 entrance test will be conducted in online mode.
- Above all, purchase the books that are recommended for the candidates as follow:
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT – Nishit K Sinha
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability for CAT – Arun Sharma
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
This section aims at measuring the problem-solving skills of the candidates. The questions asked in the section on DILR are quite complex tricky to measure the mental ability of the candidates. Now, let’s have a look at the topics under this section mentioned as follow:
- Logical Reasoning
- Blood Relations
- Binary Logic
- Family Tree
- Set & Syllogism
- Seating Arrangement
- Data Arrangement
- Clocks and Calendars
- Matching Puzzles
- Constraint-based Puzzles
- Venn Diagram etc.
- Bar Graph
- Line Graph
- Data Sufficiency
- Combination of Graphs
- Pie Chart
- Tables etc.
Preparation Tips for Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- First of all, candidates need to go through each topic solely to have better information.
- Secondly, while practicing must analyze the weakest portion and then go for practicing those topics to strengthen it.
- Buy reference books of best authors and publishers as well for learning various methods or trick to solve complex questions in less time. Therefore, for the ease of the candidates, hereby, we have recommended some of the books:
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT – Arun Sharma
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT – Arun Sharma
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT – Nishit K Sinha
- Solve as many passage a candidate can. Besides this, also solve questions from sample papers and previous years question papers to have a better idea about the type and difficulty level of questions that might come in the CAT 2018 exam.
- Start taking an online mock test to improvise accuracy and the speed too as the CAT 2018 will be conducted through online mode.
Quantitative Ability (QA)
The questions asked in Quantitative Ability section are mainly to check the mathematical skills of the candidates. The questions asked in this section are generally tough than others. Therefore, candidates need to practice well for this section according to the topics that are mentioned below:
- Arithmetic Progression
- Speed & Distance
- LCM &HCF
- Ratio & Proportion
- Profit and Loss
- Trigonometry etc.
Preparation Tips for Quantitative Ability:
- The candidates to score good marks in the section of QA must go through all the topics above cited.
- Take the help from the mentor and different reference books that are given below for the betterment of the candidates:
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT – Nishit K Sinha
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT – Arun Sharma
- Go for solving the sample papers and the question papers as well in order to fetch proper idea about the question level that might be asked in the entrance test of CAT 2018.
- Strengthen your basic and fundamental concepts.
- Lastly, stay calm and confident.
CAT 2018 Syllabus with Exam Pattern
The candidates after fetching overall information about the CAT 2018 syllabus should also know about the exam pattern to have idea about the pattern of the test paper in detail. Therefore, let’s have a glimpse of CAT 2018 Exam Pattern that is cited below in comprehensive form:
- Mode- Computer-based Exam (Online mode)
- Medium- English
- Sections – 3 sections (VARC, DILR, and QA)
- of Questions – 100
- Time Duration – 3 hours or 180 minutes
- Marking Scheme- 3 marks awarded for correct answer and 1 mark will be deducted for wrong answer.
|Section||Sectional Duration||No of Questions|
|Verbal & Reading Comprehension (VARC)||1 hour||34|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||1 hour||34|
|Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation (LR &DI)||1 hour||32|
Preparation Tips According to CAT 2018 Syllabus
- Candidates to score good marks in the entrance test of CAT 2018 must strategize the proper study chart according to the time left for the same.
- Moreover, as all the topics covered in each section are already mentioned above. So firstly, go for those in which you are good at.
- However, if a candidate chooses any new topic then analyze your weak part and try to fortify it with the help of reference books whose names are already recommended above.
- Solve the sample papers of this year along with the previous years’ as well as the question papers to check the differences made and to be familiar with the type and difficulty level of the questions that might be asked this year.
- Start taking online mock test as the exam will be held at online mode and besides this, candidates can also improve their accuracy to solve the questions.
- Lastly, don’t begin any new topic before the exam and be confident about what you have read till date.
Feel free to leave any query or question in the comments section below regarding CAT 2018 syllabus and examination pattern. Our experts will contact you as soon as possible with the best possible answers available.
Happy exams start preparing as time is running.