CAT 2018 Selection Procedure – The selection procedure for CAT 2018 will commence soon since the result cum scorecard has been declared. Now, each participating institutions that accept the score of CAT exam will release the cutoff to shortlist the candidates for selection procedure round. And the candidates who will meet the minimum qualifying marks will be called to participate in the further round which is conducted by all the participating institutes separately. However, in selection procedure round, candidates have to go through Group Discussion (GD), Writing Ability Test (WAT), and Personal Interview (PI) rounds. Furthermore, post completion of all these round and on the basis of previous academic records, work experience etc. the final selection of the candidates will be done. Therefore, to know the detailed information about the same, study the article thoroughly and fetch all the information provided here minutely.
CAT Participating Institutes – Shortlisting Procedure
- Each participating institute that accepts the CAT score has its own CAT cutoff. Those candidates who will fulfill the cutoff criterion of the particular institute will be shortlisted for participating in the selection procedure.
- Candidates willing to pursue MBA from CAT accepting institutes have to apply separately before the deadline.
- The shortlisted candidates are called for the selection procedure round wherein they face the Group Discussion (GD), Written Ability Test (WAT), and Personal Interview (PI).
- Lastly, based on the candidate’s eligibility that includes CAT 2018 percentile, past academic record, work experience etc. the admission committee of the institutes will select the candidates for counseling process after which candidates can get into that particular institute.
CAT 2018 Selection Process for IIMs
- CAT 2018 Examination
- Group Discussion (GD) And/or Written Ability Test (WAT)
- Personal interview (PI)
- Final Merit List
Step 1: CAT 2018 Entrance Test
- The first step is conduction of CAT 2018 which was held on 25th November 2018 by IIM Calcutta.
- Now, each IIM will announce its own cutoff percentile-both sectional and overall
- On the basis of candidates’ score, each IIM will select the candidates and call them to participate in the further round of selection procedure.
Step 2: WAT and/or GD
- Those candidates who will meet the prescribed cutoff for respective IIM will be called for Written Ability Test (WAT) and Group Discussion (GD).
Step 3: Personal Interview (PI)
- Post clearing the WAT and GD rounds, candidates have to face the last round which is of Personal Interview (PI) wherein the candidates judged on the basis of their communication skills, knowledge, soft skills, performance in the previous rounds, and most importantly, the presence of mind.
Step 4: Final Merit List
- The final merit list is prepared based on the following components. What are they, let’s have a look at it:
- CAT 2018 score
- performance in WAT, GD, and PI rounds
- Marks obtained in 10th and 12th
- Gender Diversity Factors
- Work Experience
Note*– The selection procedure of all the IIMs except few have a different process of selecting candidates for admission process. To know more, let’s go through the following information provided below:
- The 6 New IIMs in Rohtak, Trichy, Raipur, Kashipur, Udaipur, and Ranchi conducts a common counseling process which is known as Common Admission Process (CAP) that includes WAT and PI rounds. Further, each IIM release its merit list separately based on candidates’ performance.
- However, IIM Sirmaur and IIM Jammu do not conduct the WAT and PI rounds; rather they release the final merit list based on CAT score, previous academic records, work experience, and diversity factors.
CAT 2018 Selection Procedure at Non-IIM B-schools
- The non-IIM B-schools conduct selection procedure separately and there is no system for the common process.
- The selection procedure includes Writing Ability Test (WAT) or Group Discussion (GD), and Personal Interview.
- The institutes such as MICA and IMT Ghaziabad conduct Group Activity instead of Group Discussion as GD round
- There are some participating institutes that conduct Group Discussion or Group Activity as well as essay writing, writing ability test along with Personal Interview rounds.
CAT Selection Procedure 2018: About IIM Colleges
There are 20 IIM colleges across India and the overall selection procedure of CAT 2018 will be similar across all IIMs, however, the weightage of each component is similar.
- The admission criteria are released in advance by IIMs after the announcement of CAT. According to the IIM admission criteria, the aspirants are shortlisted on the basis of CAT percentile that matches the IIMs cutoffs. As the candidates are shortlisted they need to appear for the next round that is for WAT and PI round.
- As per the admission criteria of IIM, candidates are shortlisted based on the CAT percentile. However, each Indian Institute of Technology has its own CAT cutoff for shortlisting the candidates
- The candidates who get selected for the selection procedure round have to go through WAT and PI rounds.
- After completion of the selection procedure rounds, based on several components such as score/ percentile of the candidates, work experience, previous academic record etc. the final merit list is prepared with the names of the selected candidates who can participate in the counseling process.
- However, the old IIMs such as IIM Calcutta, IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore etc. conducts their own selection procedure round
- Moreover, the new IIMs such as IIM Jammu, IIM Sirmaur, IIM Nagpur etc conduct the Common Admission Process (CAP) for the participation of the candidates in WAT and PI rounds.
Feel free to solve your queries related to CAT 2018 selection procedure, you can leave your comment in the given below comment box.