Biochemical engineering which is also popular as bio process engineering is a branch of biological engineering or chemical engineering that focuses on dealing with the design and construction of unit process that involve biological organisms or molecules, like bioreactors. Biochemical Engineering is an interdisciplinary field on engineering courses that deals with the Study of engineering laws and techniques that are applied in the medical field. The Biochemical engineer is the ocean of knowledge. As a Biochemical Engineer, they have the knowledge of Maths, science, biology and medicine. It is a 4 year undergraduate programme, PG course of 2 years and doctoral courses. Every year many students apply for this course from well recognized Universities. Biochemical engineering is one of the most chosen field by the students after their intermediate. Those who wants to nurture their respective career as a biochemical engineer should pursue for Biochemical Engineering from a well-recognized University. In order to get admission in a university for biochemical engineering course students are required to fulfil the eligibility criteria. Eligibility criteria can be different for different universities but most probably it will be same as mentioned in the given article.
This article is motivated to aware students who wish to pursue for Biochemical Engineering course bout eligibility criteria, about the course, duration of course, Top colleges in India offer Biochemical Engineering course, Admission criteria, Career and job opportunities, Salary opportunities and Books and study material to be followed by the student.
Biochemical Engineering Course at a glance
- Biochemical Engineers work at the intersection of engineering the life sciences and health care.
- The foundation of Biochemical Engineering lies in the Basic sciences – mathematics, physics, chemistry and Biology.
- It covers the latest advances in the developing field of Biochemical Technology, instrumentation and organisation.
Students in order to get admission in biochemical engineering course are required to fulfil the eligibility criteria framed. Those students who fails to satisfy the eligibility criteria will not be able to pursue for this course. Eligibility criteria is defined in educational requirements of the applying student. Eligibility criteria for PG and UG course are different form each other and described as:
For Undergraduate Course: Applying candidate should have passed 12th with physics, chemistry, mathematics and biology as main subjects. Entrance test will be organized by state, central, and private universities, which requires an aggregate of 50% to appear in the examination.
For Post Graduate Course: Applying candidate is required to hold degree of B.E/B.Tech in biochemical engineering. An entrance test is conducted for PG programme by state, central and private universities.
Courses & Duration
Biochemical Engineers need much knowledge of both engineering and biology. Many colleges in India offer undergraduate postgraduate & Doctoral degree in Biomedical Engineering. The Biomedical Engineering course includes the study of Biology, Physics, Chemistry, life Sciences, Bio Tech, Calculus, Materials Science, Principles of Design & Bio mechanics.
- Diploma in Biochemical Engineering
Undergraduate Courses (4 years):
- Tech in Biochemical Engineering
- Sc in Biochemical Engineering
- BE in Biochemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Biochemical Instrumentation
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering
Postgraduate Courses (2 years):
- Tech in Biochemical Engineering
- Sc in Biochemical Engineering
- MS in Biochemical Engineering
- ME in Biochemical Engineering
- Master of Engineering (ME) in Biochemical Engineering & Biotechnology
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Bio-Medical Signal Processing & Instrumentation
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Biochemical Instrumentation
- D in Biochemical Engineering
Top Colleges in India offering Biochemical Engineering course
After passing intermediate first task for students is choosing the field or course they need to pursue. After selecting it next task is selection a best college for that particular course. Selecting top college is equally important as choosing best course. Here, we will help you to choose your top college for biochemical Engineering course. Given below is the list of top college that offer biochemical engineering course:
- National Institutes of Technology, Raipur
- National Institutes of Technology, Rourkela
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Hyderabad
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Kanpur
Skills required to become a Biochemical Engineer
For every professional there are some skills required. So, below we have mentioned skills required to become biochemical engineer:
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Good observation, investigation, concentration, critical thinking skills.
- Dexterous and Alert.
- Computer knowledge and high-level software development skills.
Below we have mentioned the admission criteria through entrance examination in recognized universities:
- To get admission in UG courses, the candidate has to pass their 10+2 examination in science. Candidate can apply for the JEE MAIN Entrance Exam for admission to UG programme.
- Those candidates completed their bachelor degree in Biochemical Engineering can either opt for a job or they can go for further studies.
- If you are interested in pursuing a master’s degree, then candidate has a bachelor’s degree in Biochemical Engineering or any other equivalent branches of engineering degree and having a valid GATE Exam
- The MBS degree holder can also opt for a postgraduate degree in Biochemical Engineering.
Entrance Examinations for Biochemical Engineering course
Some other entrance exams in which you can appear for admission in Biochemical Engineering course are mentioned below:
- JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) Advanced
- BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
- JCECE (Jharkhand Common Entrance Competitive Exam)
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
Career & Jobs
After completing biochemical engineering you can be employed in public as well as corporate sectors. You can start your careers in the Hospitals, Clinics and Healthcare centre. There are lots of opportunity in industries for innovating, designing and developing new technologies. Those people having an MS and PhD degrees they can usually work in research institutions and universities as biochemical engineers. Bachelor Degree holder can work with government organisations such as Employment State Insurance Corporation and Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Bio Technology and Biochemical Engineering.
Many foreign country research institutions, medical device consulting firms and pharmaceutical companies offers good job opportunities for the B.Tech degree holder.
After gaining adequate experience in related field Biochemical engineers can work with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the National Institute of Health (NIH).
Below we have mentioned the list of job profiles offered to biochemical engineers:
- Clinical Engineers
- Bio-instrumentation Engineer
- Research Scientists
- Business Managers
- Technical Writers
- Bio-mechanics Engineers
- Patent Analyst
- Biomaterials Engineers
Below we have mentioned the list of top recruiters for biochemical engineers:
- Larsen & Toubro
- Stryker Global Technology Centre
- Deloitte Consulting India Pvt Ltd
- BPL Healthcare
- Wipro GE Medical System
- Phillips Healthcare
- General Electric Global Research, Bangalore
- Texas Instruments Inc.
Biochemical Engineers gets paid more than compared to other careers in any other engineering fields. Apart from other benefits and perks you can get a starting salary varies between Rs 2.5 lakh to Rs 3.6 Lakh per year. In the government sector as a medical engineer, your salary starts from 2 to 3 lakh per annum. It depends upon the reputation of that organisation.
Books & Study Material
Below we have mentioned name of some good books which will help the candidate to study biochemical engineering easily and completely.
- Smart Drug Delivery System by Ali Demir Sezer
- State of the Art in Biosensors– General Aspects by Toonika Rinken
- Optical Coherence Tomography by Masanori Kawasaki
- Practical Applications in Biochemical Engineering by Adriano O. Andrade, Adriano Alves Pereira, Eduardo L. M. Naves and Alcimar B. Soares
- Biochemical Engineering– From Theory to Applications by Reza Fazel-Rezai
- Advances in Biomimetic by Anne George
We hope that the above given information about Biochemical Engineering course help all pursuing students to know each and everything about the course. For further details, stay connected with our portal.