CAT 2016 widely known as Common Admission Test is one of the most elusive and toughest PAN India entrance tests as you already know. The CAT is conducted by the IIMs annually on rotation policy to enroll candidates like you in their post – graduation and Fellow programs in management courses across 19 IIMs & other prestigious B – schools such as MDI Gurgaon, IMT Ghaziabad Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), IIT Delhi, SP Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai in the country. The CAT exam dates are generally declared in August every year.Even though its tough we are sure you can crack it by just being one step ahead of the rest!
The CAT score is considered along with many other parameters such academics, work experience, GDs, written assessment, personal interviews, etc to select the candidate so you will have to consider all round perfomance. The weightage assigned to CAT scores differs by each institute. This current year, the registrations begin from 6th August and scheduled to take place in the month of Oct – Nov of 2016
Last year approx 2,04,267 students attempted the CAT to compete for 1550+ seats making it the most competitive exam in the country but i am sure thats common knowledge to you thats why you have selected it!. The IIMs are the premier management institutes in India established by a Parliamentary act.
CAT 2016 Eligibility Criteria
Its good to know before hand if you can give the exam as per the rules so here we have mentioned the CAT 2016 Eligibility Criteria. Do read carefully before applying to avoid any misunderstandings.
- The candidate must have a graduate degree with 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% in case of SC/ST/DA/PWD) or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the ministry of HRD, Government of India.
- Candidates who are in their final year of bachelor’s degree or who have completed the degree and those who are waiting for their results can also apply. (Candidate if selected needs to submit a certificate latest by 30th June 2015 from the Principal/ Registrar of College/ Institute stating that the candidate has completed all the requirements for obtaining the bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate.)
Reservations – Like most other examinations this too has a certain amount of reservations so lets have a look at them! 15% seats are reserved for Schedule Caste, 7.5% for Schedule Tribes, 27% for OBCs (Other backward classes) & 3% for differently able.
Test Pattern & Duration – Out of 100 questions, 50% are assigned to Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation & 50 questions are assigned for Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning so better brush up on them!
Exam Format – CAT is a computer based test which is good news for most , conducted in multiple cities during a window of 3-4 weeks as per your convenience.
CAT 2016 Application Form
After you have read through the eligibility criteria and deciding you’re eligible whats the next step to take? No its not thinking about it! You now have to fill the CAT 2016 Application Form. You can successfully do so by following the enlisted steps!
- You will firstly have to register online at the CAT’s official website which is www.iimcat.ac.in with a registration fee of Rs. 1600 (General/NC-OBC) and Rs. 800 (SC/ST/PWD-DA) and then fill the form with valid details.
- The form is incomplete without the registration fees which can be paid online either through net banking including credit card & debit card.
- Unfortunately, this year, one does not have the option to choose their preferred time.
- You will have to show your original certificate, mark sheets and submit photocopies to prove your eligibility before the interview. If selected, the same needs to be submitted along with your photocopies for verification at the time of joining the program.
CAT 2016 Syllabus
Its always good to be prepared and what better way to do so than checking out the syllabus! So here goes:
The Quantitative Aptitude section comprises of fundamental maths, based on 10 + 2 difficulty level. Questions are asked from various subjects such as Geometry, Algebra, Commercial Mathematics (Word Problems) & Arithmetic. The questions are essentially to solve real – time problems with application of mathematics.
The Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning section comprises of questions basis given data in the form of graphs charts, tables & paragraphs to test your understanding of data & ability to solve problems accurately. Logical reasoning will test your ability to rationalize & evaluate problems.
The Verbal Ability section tests your ability to comprehend and also test the usage of Standard English grammar. Verbal Logic section tests your understanding of arranging paragraphs in a logical order, determining the type of statements, completing the paragraphs in an appropriate way.
Allocation of marks:
It has been observed that every correct answer gains 4 marks & every wrong answer carries one negative mark so be wise!
Cut-offs for each section
You will have to secure a minimum score in each section to qualify for that section and for CAT as well. Sectional cut-offs mostly depends on the performance of other candidates who appear for the exam in that year. You will have to secure a minimum total cut off for the entire paper to earn GD/PI calls from IIMs.
Only those of you who manage to secure the sectional cut-offs & the overall cut-offs in the written test are called for a Group Discussion & Personal Interviews by the IIMs. You crack the GD / PI and you enter the prestigious IIM…so the message is clear..Buck up!
CAT 2016 Exam Dates
|CAT Exam Events||Important Dates|
|Online Application Form Starts||6th August to 27th September 2016|
|Admit Card download window||October 24th|
|Exam Date||4th December 2016|
|CAT 2016 Result||second week of January 2017|
Work hard & good Luck!!
Other PG National Level MBA Entrance Exams 2017
|ATMA 2017||MAT 2017|
|CAT 2017||MICAT 2017|
|CMAT 2017||NMAT 2017|
|GMAT 2017||SNAP 2017|
|IBSAT 2017||TISS NET 2017|
|IIFT 2017||XAT 2017|